B'ham > Memphis via Hwy 78 MHP MSWIN Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian1

Greetings folks.

I'm going to be traveling through from Birmingham en route to Memphis along Hwy 78.

Is the northern part of MS on the MSWIN system yet?

I get the impression from the Tag-Label of the sites that only phase 1 (south) and phase 2 (central) are up and running. I guess phase 3 is the north.

If there are northern sites to monitor on MSWIN please advise.

Counties to scan:
Itawamba, Lee, Union, Patotoc, Benton, Marshall, & Desoto

Thank you!!!

KE5TLF

A long time before anything MSWIN is up that far. End of 2011 was original P3 buildout target date, but given various delays, P3 buildout completion will likely be well into 2012 now.

Hopefully by around this time next year P2 will be done, or nearly so, up to Monroe Co. Now whether or not there is anything to be heard on it by then will be an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Julian1

MS Hwy Patrol

Thanks for the reply on MSWIN.

I loaded in the VHF High Band frequencies. I'm guessing then the troopers remain on low band like Tennessee uses.

Gonna have to get me a vhf-low antenna for such trips in the future.

If you have any other suggestions, please advise.

I appreciate your help.

Take care!!

bama9999

Julian, you are correct in that MHP does still use VHF-low. The info in the database is correct for the counties along your route, so as a premium subscriber, you should do fine by loading in the info from the database into your scanner. I travel that route sometimes and use that same programming, and I hear plenty of stuff while driving.

Lee and Desoto counties are 800 mhz Motorola trunking, and the remainder are VHF conventional.

mikebennett

Thanks for the reply on MSWIN.

I loaded in the VHF High Band frequencies. I'm guessing then the troopers remain on low band like Tennessee uses.

Gonna have to get me a vhf-low antenna for such trips in the future.

If you have any other suggestions, please advise.

I appreciate your help.

Take care!!
I travel that route a few times a year and I can hear both District base stations on VHF-Lo using a 5/8ths wave Hi band antenna even though the bases are pretty far off. FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.