• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bi-directional Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPN

I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this type of setup and can provide some experienced comments. I've searched the 'net for days and cannot find anything related to what I want to do. There is tons of other stuff from amateur radio forums etc but not much help to me.

Here is my situation. The county in which our business is situated is a geographically unique area. We are surrounded by the Great Lakes on three sides. Consequently our radio communications needs are east and west only. Since we communicate in basically a straight line from NE to SW I wanted to use a bi-directional antenna setup.I am considering two options.

Option one is to use two vertical omnidirectional antennas with 6db gain co-phased for a figure eight radiating pattern. I like this setup because it appears, in theory, to give wide coverage over the areas we serve with greater range than a single omni antenna.

Option two is to use to yagi antennas mounted in a back to back co-phased array. This would give us considerable reach in each direction but would have a much narrower radiating pattern.

As always, radio communications are usually a series of trade offs. I personally am thinking option one is probably the best solution based on the figure eight radiating pattern. Before I go spending money on this setup I was hoping for input from other professionals who may have similar situations. We operate at 460 Mhz with 35 watts of power and antenna at 80 feet communicating with mobiles. Our terrain is table flat for the biggest part and in a rural setting. There is one hill of about 400 feet height and ten miles distant but not in a direction that causes us difficulty.

Any and all input positive or negative is appreciated. Invariably someone will mention a repeater but this would be a last resort solution.

Thanks,
TP

TPN

You want one of these:
DB420-B
You can install it as a 9dBD omni or a 12dBD gain in a bi-directional figure 8 pattern. It doesn't get much better than this in UHF antennas.
prcguy

Thanks for the info, prcguy.
Regards,tpn

Status
Not open for further replies.