bias t for zhl 1010

yellingsoftly

I've seen a few mentions about this but I may be still confused. If you have a zhl 1010 preamp and want to power it via bias t injector after a power splitter/multicoupler do you need your bias t to be injecting 12 volts as the specs say on many circuits site? was going to just get a usb powered bias t as I don't have a variable dc supply to add power to an bias t injector to send it up to the second bias t to take the voltage off the coax to the preamp. So not sure I've read different things and I can't decide if the 350ma off the usb will be enough or if I really need some sort of dedicated supply to inject?

yellingsoftly

Use a dedicated linear supply as many switching types can send RFI right to the preamp. I’ve used these bias T‘s and they are great for the price. RF Biaser Bias Tee 10MHz-6GHz DC blocker Coaxial feed FOR HAM radio RTL SDR | eBay
Thanks do you have a recommended inexpensive linear supply? I see lots of switching ones but for example the linear pyramid supplies I see output 13.8 volt which according to mini circuits chart is over the max. Unfortunately since I’m using sdrs I can’t just split power off the scanner.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks do you have a recommended inexpensive linear supply? I see lots of switching ones but for example the linear pyramid supplies I see output 13.8 volt which according to mini circuits chart is over the max. Unfortunately since I’m using sdrs I can’t just split power off the scanner.
I might use a 1A linear wall wart type. Those should be available from many vendors and eBay. They will be large like 2 X 2 X 4” or similar.