BIAS-t over RG6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wowologist

Certifiable
Any problems with that? (other then the obv. connector 75/50ohm mismatch)

I've had a chi-com mini-whip in a shoe-box for like 10 years and thought...hmm let me put this up at about 40' and use this 100' of RG6 (quad shield-solid center) I've had gathering dust for about the same amount of time. Going to mount the mini-whip in a 1L bottle up on the mast and then water tight the bottom where the RG6 exits.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
No problem putting volts through a 75 Ohm cable. Test it with everything hooked up on your kitchen table or whatnot before you put it in the air and string the cable. I presume the BIAS-T is the one that came with the mini-whip, so numbers should be good.

Once you do string it up, I'm figuring you'll use an AC wallwart for the DC power. You should also test it with a battery and feed it DC. When you do, check to see if it removes some noise or not. Some A/B comparisons on WWV at 2.5, 5, and 10 MHz. Then tune to some dead freqs on different bands and do the same A/B test. While an antenna will pickup noise, wallwarts can be your worst foe.

Ubbe

RG6 are usually the coax used for a sat dish, that gets their LNB heads powered with 12-15 volts thru the coax from the receiver box.

Bias-T are just a coil connected to the coax with enough Henry to stop the RF from being shortcircuit and are connected to a power source. The coil needs to handle the current needed to power the device at the other end of the coax. There are cheap 5volt bias-T that powers active TV/Radio antennas that can be used. As mentioned it's nothing fancy and you can take a $5 sat CATV splitter where one port have power thru and stick a choke coil in that port and solder or twin a cable to it to a power source that either use current limit or use a low ohm resistor or a fuse to protect from shortcircuits.

/Ubbe

wowologist

Certifiable
Ya hey all, thanks for the input!

I set it up and wow this little thing I swear receives dragonfly wings flapping by; its literally sucking everything in - which is what I wanted, as now I can take that signal and listen to the slices of filtered/DSP'd goodies that I want. The injector that came with it says 8v to 15v - and seems to work best at around 11.2v @ about 142ma, any higher seems to bring the noise floor up so high that you can't even filter out to look at the signal you want.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
nope...should work very well. i use RG-8X for everything in the shack...just easier to buy it in bulk.

wowologist

Certifiable
nope...should work very well. i use RG-8X for everything in the shack...just easier to buy it in bulk.

Ya I'm lucky enough to have 2 1500' spools of Belden RG-8/U soft flex that got left in my hanger after the gulf war. I pretty much use that for everything since it handles QRO to QRP to jumpers like candy since it has a 4" bend radius and is solid copper throughout. +/- 1db loss at 300' for this little listening project I thought I'd use up the useless RG-6 Quad shielding since I was more concerned about interference ingress and it works pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.