Bid Accepted for Murray P.D. UHF System

Status
Not open for further replies.

kytnradios

The Murray Public Safety Committee recently met to discuss bids for a new UHF radio system. A bid in the amount of $75,073.23 from Jackson Purchase 2-Way Radio, Inc. in Paducah was accepted by the committee. One other bid in the amount of $80,902 was received from Jennings Communications in Murray. A grant in the amount of $90,960 was received from Homeland Security to fund the purchase. The committee's recommendation was approved by the Murray City Council during June 26th's meeting.

RandyB

Very interesting. I look forward to hearing more about this. I can see the benefit as this should allow them interoperability with with the county and state. Keep us updated!

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Sorry, forgot to post this in the earlier message....
Here is the Murray Police info (effective 17 July 2008):
adds: 460.36250 BM 465.36250 M (KNNJ655), both freqs are licensed for both analog and digital transmissions... and have been added to the existing license... There are two control points: 407 Poplar ST and 302 Andrus DR with mobile radius at 25 clicks....

RandyB

$75k seems pretty cheap for P-25. I know MOTOTRBO is a little cheaper and some smaller agencies have been going that direction recently. It makes me wonder if Murray may as well. P-25 would seem to be the more logical choice since it would allow interoperability with the state. I guess time will tell. Regardless, I can't imagine that it would take too long to construct this system given its simplicity.

kytnradios

While day-to-day P.D. operations will move to the new system, I think the current VHF system will be left in place. 154.860 is still used to activate the city's emergency sirens. Although on their own frequencies, City and County fire, DES and ambulance are VHF. County Sheriff and Murray State Public Safety are already UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.