Biddeford 800MHZ Phase 2

12dbsinad

Now that's funny! They have basically 3 options, and two are less than a mile from each other...hahaha
Way more than 3, but those 2 will probably be out of range anyway unless you get lucky on top of the hill. And you forgot York and Porstmouth. They go there too especially on the Pike, so not sure why it's so funny? Guess they are guaranteed at least one! hahaha

a417

Way more than 3, but those 2 will probably be out of range anyway unless you get lucky on top of the hill. And you forgot York and Porstmouth. They go there too especially on the Pike, so not sure why it's so funny? Guess they are guaranteed at least one! hahaha
I completely forgot about SMMC , I was only thinking of York, MMC and (the now relocated) Northern Light Mercy Hosp. That's also a good point about Portsmouth, being a little farther south than my usual travels, I didn't think of the southbound Pike issues.

12dbsinad

I bet anything but SMMC and they’ll have issues. Maybe they’ll use a vhf patch? I’m sure they’ll maintain something on vhf for m/a.
From a very reliable source, there are no patches planned. The amount of stupidity and greed that go into present public safety radio systems cease to amaze me.

Biddeford has 22,500 people
Lowell, MA has 111,300 people

Why the heck does Biddeford need a state of the art trunking system, when Lowell (5x the population of Biddeford) gets by fine using all conventional channels. Gotta drink the Moto kool aid.

12dbsinad

Biddeford has 22,500 people
Lowell, MA has 111,300 people

Why the heck does Biddeford need a state of the art trunking system, when Lowell (5x the population of Biddeford) gets by fine using all conventional channels. Gotta drink the Moto kool aid.
You forgot big places like Boston, and a lot of other major cities on conventional (ANALOG omg) systems that work just fine. the Moto Kool aid is real. You should read the spec... soul source because it's a matter of 'life or death'. APX8000XE for fire all band and APX NEXT for the PD, no detail left unnoticed!

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
The Moto Kool Aid with its "cone-of-silence" promises and scandal-laden PDs are a match made in heaven. I'd be surprised if that wasn't an actual Moto marketing tactic.

BlackSheepDue

From a very reliable source, there are no patches planned. The amount of stupidity and greed that go into present public safety radio systems cease to amaze me.
No patches at all? So what do they propose doing when m/a companies come into the “city” for a call?

12dbsinad

No patches at all? So what do they propose doing when m/a companies come into the “city” for a call?
It's possible they may leave the current VHF set-up as is, so maybe they will utilize it when needed? But as far as I was told up to this point nothing was going to be patched to the new system. Of course, like anything it could be subject to change.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
The message I have been given as mutual aid is that there will be a (1) VHF patch dedicated to one of the fireground ops channels and that is it. I was told that there will be no law patch. This may have since changed but that was the last information provided to me.

12dbsinad

The message I have been given as mutual aid is that there will be a (1) VHF patch dedicated to one of the fireground ops channels and that is it. I was told that there will be no law patch. This may have since changed but that was the last information provided to me.
So what are mutual aid covering the City supposed to do? Who are the morons that decide these things anyways? Let's totally isolate ourselves and go against everything my hard earned tax dollars went to... Interop! Unbelievable.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
Biddeford has started to become an island when it comes to mutual aid. If you have monitored them recently, it appears they are greatly changing how and when they call for help into town. I know they have told outside agencies that NO ONE will have access to their system, which means there has to be some kind of plan for Saco, OOB, Scarborough, and Arundel to communicate in. Unfortunately, they have been very cloak and dagger with it all.

Thorndike113

And after the towns people pay for this elaborate system, in will come the next form of communication

Cellular Radio!!!

Up here on Knox Ridge there is a cell tower. They tore down a really cute farm house many years back, erected a big old ugly cell tower. Nothing got put up there for 10 years or so. All of a sudden we see AT&T trucks sitting up there one day. A set of antennas show up at the top of that tower. The system is set in place and years go by. NO ONE has reliable cell service around that tower. In the valleys around it are still large dead zones. Then I read about Poc Radio in Maine. Its push to talk over cellular. AT&T has some agreement with the state of Maine to start building a network for first responders and law enforcement where everyone will use Poc Radios over the cell towers. I just about fell out of my chair laughing. I thought about all of these towns blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars on these radio systems, some of them completely encrypted. Then I thought about all of us who monitor these entities and how we all get irritated about them going encrypted. There goes our radio hobby. Ham radio is pretty much dead unless you stay up night and day flipping from one band to another on HF like a lunatic and now we are about to see our scanners go dead. It probably wont happen for awhile due to the issue of over inflated coverages maps from the way I read it. They actually have to go out and do RF studies because most of these coverage maps are showing service where there is none. I know, I know, what if the cell towers go down? They will have to go back to radios. Wrong. Cell towers don't go down. I have known of one in my life and it was up on Sugarloaf. Anyhow, the US government is paying a lot for this and the state of Maine is about to put money towards it. I guess the good thing about it is that eventually maybe the FCC will start letting us common folk use all of the unused public safety frequencies. Probably highly unlikely but one can dream.

ecps92

Nothing new, it is called First Net - Congress's answer to Interop after 9/11

Some states have laughed at it, other moving along at a snails pace, as there is more paperwork to push/sign/read
than the entire Augusta public library has in stock.

and just because an outside vendor built it, doesn't require anyone in Maine to use it

And after the towns people pay for this elaborate system, in will come the next form of communication

Cellular Radio!!!

Up here on Knox Ridge there is a cell tower. They tore down a really cute farm house many years back, erected a big old ugly cell tower. Nothing got put up there for 10 years or so. All of a sudden we see AT&T trucks sitting up there one day. A set of antennas show up at the top of that tower. The system is set in place and years go by. NO ONE has reliable cell service around that tower. In the valleys around it are still large dead zones. Then I read about Poc Radio in Maine. Its push to talk over cellular. AT&T has some agreement with the state of Maine to start building a network for first responders and law enforcement where everyone will use Poc Radios over the cell towers. I just about fell out of my chair laughing. I thought about all of these towns blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars on these radio systems, some of them completely encrypted. Then I thought about all of us who monitor these entities and how we all get irritated about them going encrypted. There goes our radio hobby. Ham radio is pretty much dead unless you stay up night and day flipping from one band to another on HF like a lunatic and now we are about to see our scanners go dead. It probably wont happen for awhile due to the issue of over inflated coverages maps from the way I read it. They actually have to go out and do RF studies because most of these coverage maps are showing service where there is none. I know, I know, what if the cell towers go down? They will have to go back to radios. Wrong. Cell towers don't go down. I have known of one in my life and it was up on Sugarloaf. Anyhow, the US government is paying a lot for this and the state of Maine is about to put money towards it. I guess the good thing about it is that eventually maybe the FCC will start letting us common folk use all of the unused public safety frequencies. Probably highly unlikely but one can dream.

Thorndike113

Nothing new, it is called First Net - Congress's answer to Interop after 9/11
It probably wont happen for another 10-20 years here in Maine but with the states failing systems and all of these dispatches asking the officer to call in for every little stupid detail, it just makes sense to put them on that. I don't even want to know what WaldoComms system costs and when it comes to the Sheriffs dept., they use it many times to call deputies on the road and ask them to please call in by phone. I have heard deputies get irritated right over the air and demand that they say what they need to over the air because their cell phones were dead (signal), and come to find out the message they needed to tell them was easier to just say over the air, it wasn't sensitive info. I see it as a waste of tax payers dollars to use your radio system to keep asking the guys on the road to call by cell phone. There are a few dispatches that do this sort of thing. Ya might as well just go full cell phone and save some money.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
Yes, as of Tuesday, January 17th, they have completely swapped over to the new 800 system. For those that can't here the 800, they will simulcast on the old Saco/Bidd dispatch only on calls that have mutual aid responding, and those calls will be patched to the old Bidd Fire Ops. My understanding is they will only simulcast when mutual aid is assigned.