• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Big coax install

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I spent the last 3 days building out coax runs for a couple of 10kW transmitters. The coax is 1 5/8" and 3 1/8" rigid line made of copper tubing. For most runs I used a chop saw to cut the individual inner and outer conductor, installed teflon spacers to hold the center conductor every 24" and silver plated mating contacts to mate the center conductors.

There are two runs from two 10kW transmitters through some filters, then a transfer switch we had to hang in mid air and level, then off to another transfer switch hanging in mid air off to the antenna, load, etc. All runs had to be hand cut, deburred, degreased, center conductors installed into outer conductors and accurate to within less than .050" and perfectly level. It was like building a 3 dimensional puzzle but it came out really nice.

One of the pictures shows a 1 5/8" to 3 1/8" adapter to show the size. I might have to upgrade my ham station with this stuff. The pictures are all rotated and don't want to cooperate in displaying properly.

Attachments

• IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 203

prcguy

The transmitter to antenna connection inside the building is about 40ft but there are two transmitters and several switched paths. There will be a long run of 3 1/8" line from the building to the antenna.

Wow, neat. How far was the run?

I'd say using that costs a bit more than LMR-400:D
Wow, neat. How far was the run?

I'd say using that costs a bit more than LMR-400:D

prcguy

Nothing wavelength specific here. The mating connector flanges on the equipment are plumb and square to the floor, walls, etc, and this type of coax does not bend! So everything has to be level to the floor and mostly parallel to the walls so the flanges mate perfectly with no gaps around their circumference.

Why did you need everything level? Were the pipe lengths wavelength specific?

bharvey2

What about the antenna system, were you involved in that too? New, pre-existing and of course, photos if available?

prcguy

I'm glad not to be on the antenna crew for this job. They have been working installing a rather large complex antenna system for the last few weeks and now I hear its installed in the wrong location on the tower and needs to move down. It could be some time before we have an antenna and outside feedline to hook up.

What about the antenna system, were you involved in that too? New, pre-existing and of course, photos if available?

Status
Not open for further replies.