Big fire in Santa Cruz Mts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Ears

Red Net (151.2200) is active? Air Attack to IC? or Helo's to ground units (for structure protection)?
Additional Ground Crews must be being ordered from "out of region".

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Region II just sent out a strike team to this fire. Rendezvous point was at 1600 near Lake Herman in Vallejo.

scankid2591

i think it's being used for helos to contact ground units... but im not completely sure on that i can't pick it up.

scannerdude... doesn't it look like somethings burning to the west? (maybe in los padres somewhere?)

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Last engine arrived at rendezvous point. Strike Team 2801A is departing Solano county.

scankid2591 said:
i think it's being used for helos to contact ground units... but im not completely sure on that i can't pick it up.

scannerdude... doesn't it look like somethings burning to the west? (maybe in los padres somewhere?)

Negative Santa Cruz Mts is 50 miles + away from Los padres

The Butte County Public Safety Scanner has a relay feed of a scanner in the Bay Area. We're carrying command nets as well as air tac. The only problem is that the source feed is a weird encoder and has command on left channel and air tac on right. Because I have to re-encode the signal, I was not able to seperate the signals so there is occasional cross talk.

The MP3 format feed can be reached at:
http://74.93.22.1:8000

http://www.wildlandfire.com/hotlist/showthread.php?t=4436&page=5

trooperdude

Database Admin
Air attack was fogged in this morning at base.

Weather and winds have changed as well.

High humidity, cold temps and a flow bringing the smoke plume over the bay area.

Should be able to make some progress today on it.

I couldn't get the icecast feed up last night. Old computer with Win2K doesn't handle
both SimpleCast and Teamspeak at the same time.

They are worried about it getting into the thick redwoods near Aptos now.

From the AM 209
3100 acres @ 20% containment. Fire is expected to transition from a wind driven fire to a fuel-slope driven fire with West South West winds by mid-day.

Critical resource needs for the next burning period include: 14 Strike Teams of Type Three Engines,Division Group Supervisors, Staging Area Managers, Status Check In Recorders, C- Faller Modules.

Major problems: Evacuations of all residents in the area of Eureka Canyon Road area and Ormsby Cutoff Road,Lower Highland area which includes Buzzard, Lagoon,Vaca De Sol area which are all in Santa Cruz County, Summit Road. Control problems include steep terrain and heavy thick dead fuels. The greatest challenges will be where topographic canyons such as Rattle Snake Gulch, Ramsey Gulch and Game **** Canyon are in allignment with slope and general winds.

CAL FIRE IMT #4 assumed command at 2000 hrs last night.

Last edited:

scankid2591

scannerdude244 said:
Negative Santa Cruz Mts is 50 miles + away from Los padres

oh no i was saying that it looked like something was burning in the los padres forest because there was a lot of smoke coming in from the west into the salinas valley i could see it from my house (i shouldve taken a picture)

trooperdude

Database Admin
http://www.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/cao/052308_PressRelease6.html

Santa Cruz County
Emergency Operations Center
Press Release
Summit Fire #6

Date: May 23, 2008
Time: 11:01 AM
Release: Immediately
Santa Cruz County Public Information Officer

Fire:

* CalFire estimates 3,400 acres burned, 500 homes and 20 commercial structures threatened, and 20% containment.
* The fire has changed from a wind-driven fire to a fuel-driven fire.
* 500-700 fire personnel, 38 fire crews, 164 engines, 7 air tankers, 10 helicopters assigned to the fire

Evacuations/Damage Assessment:

* All previously announced evacuations remain in effect; none have been added. These evacuations affected approximately 500 residences.
* To report damage to private structures in the unincorporated area, call 454-3171.

Shelter

* Red Cross reports approximately 24 people sheltered at the Fairgrounds last night.

Schools

* All Pajaro Valley Unified School District schools are closed due to concerns about air quality. PVUSD comprises 27 schools with 18, 000 students.

Roads closed:

* All previously closed roads remain closed; none have been added.

Volunteers

* Santa Cruz Volunteer Center is coordinating volunteers: 427-5070.
* Persons wishing to assist with care of pets or large animals should contact the Animal Services authority at 454-7303.
* Persons wishing to contribute feed for horses at the Fairgrounds should bring bales of grass hay.

trooperdude

Database Admin
http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=263

Summit Fire

Summit Fire Incident Information:
Last Updated: May 24, 2008 6:00 am
Date/Time Started: May 22, 2008 5:17 am
Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE
County: Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties
South of the town of Loma Prieta
Acres Burned: 3,400
Containment 25% contained - 3,400 acres
Structures Destroyed: 17 residences; 11 commercial
Threatened: 550 residential; 20 commercial

Evacuations: New evacuations overnight for the Santa Clara Counties communities of Sveadal and residents of Mc Phee Road. Evacuations of all residents in the Eureka Canyon Road area, Ormsby Cutoff Road and Summit Road area, Lower Highland area(Buzzard, Lagoon, Vaca De Sol-all in Santa Cruz County)
Injuries: 0
Cause: Under investigation
Cooperating Agencies: Cal Fire, County, OES: Santa Cruz and Santa Clara, CHP, Sheriff: Santa Cruz and Santa Clara, National Guard, NOAA, CA State Parks, Santa Clara County Parks, PGE
Total Fire Personnel: 2,683 firefighters
Fire crews: 85
Engines: 289
Airtankers: 2
Helicopters: 13
Dozers: 54
Water tenders: 37
Major Incident Command Team: Incident Command Team #4
Conditions: Fire continues to be primarily slope driven with southwest winds. Road closures remain in effect in the area of Eureka Canyon Road. Evacuated the community of Sveadal, closed Mc Phee and Croy Roads at Uvas Road in Santa Clara County. Road closures remain in effect in the area of Eureka Canyon Road. Evacuations of all areas remain in effect. Evaluating infrastructure loss and damage and establishment of control lines.

Temperature: 62
Wind Direction: S-SW
Wind Speed: 20mph
Relative Humidity: 85% (It's foggy today with a marine layer)

karldotcom

The poor newsreader on KFWB in Los Angeles said this morning that the fire had burned into "UVAS COUNTY"

I thought....huh?

trooperdude

Database Admin
karldotcom said:
The poor newsreader on KFWB in Los Angeles said this morning that the fire had burned into "UVAS COUNTY"

I thought....huh?

Uvas VFD will be happy to hear that they are their own county now.

LOL

There is a Uvas County PARK. Part of the Santa Clara County Park system.

SCPD

QRT
picture of Areo Union 27

Did not relized how big there where up close.
This is the first time around I've seen an "Contact" Airplane up close.
I have been many times to the Santa Rosa Airbase before and this is the fisrst time I have seen an non CDF airplane at the airbase.

Attachments

• Aero Union 27.jpg
    Aero Union 27.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

BCFlash

FWIW the 747 Super Tanker, tail number 979, is still at the Evergreen facility at Pinal Air Park, Arizona. It is in maintenance getting ready for the season. I saw it there recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.