BIG PURCHASE #SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstetter

Sooo, I made a HUGE purchase on buying the SDS200! Can ALL of you Scanner Nerds tell me IF I made the right choice on buying the SDS200 for $700? I bought this from ZipScanning because i didn't want to pay for TAX!

radio3353

Sooo, I made a HUGE purchase on buying the SDS200! Can ALL of you Scanner Nerds tell me IF I made the right choice on buying the SDS200 for $700? I bought this from ZipScanning because i didn't want to pay for TAX!

The fact that you are asking us to validate your purchase for you tells me you are insecure about something regarding your purchase. What is it? Also, how can we answer your question without you telling us the other choices you had?

Nasby

If you have simulcast then the answer is a resounding yes that it was money well spent!
If no simulcast, then it's a yes that you overspent.

ludek-brno

I don't understand buying SDS series scanners when there is no fw support from the manufacturer or an effort to complete it

Ubbe

Most issues are not FW related. I would think that Uniden right now discuss if they are content how their scanner products works at this moment and don't plan to invest in any more work to their FWs, or if they eventually will have to do more support and if that will pay off in more sales.

Modern complicated scanners will always have bugs and there will never be a 100% working scanner. Uniden and Whistler have always been very open to feedbacks from their user base, contrary to other scanner/receiver manufactures, but it might have ended now and will perhaps never be the same again.

Most important advice where from Uniden that only if you have simulcast issues should you consider a SDS scanner. So it is a mystery why SDS scanners are being sold outside of USA. There where probably a reason to way Upman refused to support and honor non US SDS scanners and wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole as he where well aware of the performance issues with it.

/Ubbe

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand buying SDS series scanners when there is no fw support from the manufacturer or an effort to complete it

I understand your frustration but should the original poster buy the 436/536HP also not updated since April 2019?
What about a Whistler scanner?

Its obvious that Paul/UPman was an integral part in the firmware as it appears when he went for last few rounds of surgery firmware updates stopped. I am not saying they shouldnt have hired someone else since but tough to replace the man.

I know you requested "USB port assignment, PC-IF, display and keybord backlight synchronization, keyboard lock. "
and those are some good ideas overall/wish list... but why use a $700 scanner for DSD plus anyway? Look into a SDR

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
I have SDR setup and an SDS100 and they serve 2 different purposes. The "scanning" experience with SDR is not an ideal experience when moving between multiple systems. Maybe there are better tools than I tried, but the experience is better on the SDS100 for this. I do use Proscan for the sds100 so that is my bar for the scanning app experience I guess.

The "hunting" experience with SDR is great since it gives me lots of logging, control, to discover new things broadcasting in the area.

So I tend to fiddle with SDR to "hunt" down new things, and then program them into SDS100 for scanning.

bobmich52

The fact that you are asking us to validate your purchase for you tells me you are insecure about something regarding your purchase. What is it? Also, how can we answer your question without you telling us the other choices you had?

Its comments like this this that keep me from posting often, U should encourage the newbies, not discourage them

Congrats cstetter, ur gonna love it, don't let the few bother u, there r plenty of helpful & knowledgeable folks out here that will help u

NUFF SAID

ludek-brno

I understand your frustration but should the original poster buy the 436/536HP also not updated since April 2019?
What about a Whistler scanner?

Its obvious that Paul/UPman was an integral part in the firmware as it appears when he went for last few rounds of surgery firmware updates stopped. I am not saying they shouldnt have hired someone else since but tough to replace the man.

I know you requested "USB port assignment, PC-IF, display and keybord backlight synchronization, keyboard lock. "
and those are some good ideas overall/wish list... but why use a $700 scanner for DSD plus anyway? Look into a SDR

Using PC IF for DSD + and other soft decoders is a priority for scanners.
The 700USD scanner should have it in the basics!
I'm not a passive amateur who downloads a database and then just listens from the chair at home or the car.
I want to be able to do my own analysis and control.
No sdr radio is right for me.
Nonsense to carry a sdr keychain + laptop + antenna + cable + other accessories.

Handheld or mobile scanner with functional PC IF for soft decoders is a priority !!!!
There is still nothing to apologize for !!!

Soft engineers work from home (Home Office).
There, COVID-19 has minimal effect
If there is a new Product Manager in Uniden, it has completely failed so far !!!!
Whistler scanners are completely useless to me !!!!
They do not have their own Custom Search — fully customizable.
They don't even have the band 66-88MHz.
I don't see anything positive with Whistler for me, except the PC IF output and because of that I won't buy it !!!!!
I have made a Disriminator tap for my BCD436HP (first series).
But how to replace it in the future ????

Even the BCT15X could already be upgraded to HW SD card and front Mini / MicroUSB after the X36 / SDS series.
Firmware development is definitely cheaper than developing a new scanner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.