Big time newbie looking to scan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

opentoe

I'm a NJ resident and looking to purchase a handheld scanner for interest. I would like to scan and monitor my counties service departments like police, fire, etc.

I have seen MANY advertisement for Uniden scanners. I also don't want to buy a scanner that won't do much or let me able to listen to anything. I know I need trunk tracking probably and another feature called call close? I don't mind buying an expensive scanner, just as long as it works. I'm a pretty technical person and could probbaly catch on and learn this pretty quickly, but I would definiately need help in which kind of scanner to purchase.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or recommend some good high end hand-held scanners I would be very appreciative. Also, if you have any comments or guidlines you want to tell me, please do not hesitate. I guess all the info and help I can get in the beginning of this hobby is best.

Thanks very much!

After doing a lot of reading, I'm reading that home/base units perform much better then hand held units. How big is the difference or gap between these type?

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Uniden BCD396T or GRE PSR500 are probably your two best bets. Both support digital and analog trunking as well as conventional.

Last edited:

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
now before you ask which one is better, or which one we think you should get, search this "scanning" section, search the uniden section, then search the GRE section, after that you shouldnt have very many questions regarding those 2 scanners... (not trying to be rude but i think we are all a little tired of all the VS threads)

af5rn

opentoe said:
After doing a lot of reading, I'm reading that home/base units perform much better then hand held units. How big is the difference or gap between these type?
I would disagree with that. The only performance difference that I find between my BCD 396T handheld and my BCD996T mobile/base is when using different antennas. If they are both hooked up to the same antenna, the reception is exactly the same. It all comes down to whether you want something you can carry around with you, or something to sit on your desk or in your car (if NJ law allows that?).

You might be better off going to the New Jersey forum down lower on this site and looking around there, where they will be more familiar with the types of systems you will be monitoring, and what equipment is best suited for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.