Billings/Yellowstone Park Handheld Scanner Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme116

Premium Subscriber
Hello!

I am a retired police lieutenant who also worked as a DEA taskforce agent here in Montana, now retired.
I’m curious as to any recommendations as to what scanner would be best for the Billings area, as well as movements throughout the state to include Yellowstone Park?
I am mainly interested in the law enforcement and EMS environments.
Im thinking a handheld would be best as it would mainly be used in a vehicle with some uses in the house.
Thanks in advance!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You'll want a 436 or SDS100, since Montana has a statewide P25 digital system. The SDS100 is more expensive, but has a nicer display and can handle simulcast systems (although I don't see any simulcast in the Yellowstone County area). You can use GPS with either model to automatically update what you scan as you travel, so that you don't have to constantly manually toggle sites and channels on and off while driving. You can buy an GPS kit from Uniden, or I do internal GPS installs to reduce cable clutter.

Xtreme116

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!! I’ll do some more looking. I appreciate your help. I was perusing the forums earlier and saw that you are highly regarded. I’m glad you’re back in the fold!!
Thanks again!

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Xtreme116,

I would invest in the SDS-100. If you plan on travel within the US, many large areas use Simulcast trunking systems which require the SDS series to monitor reliably. If you only plan on monitoring in non-simulcast areas, the other scanners may meet your needs. The SDS is significantly more expensive, of course but worth it if you travel and / or live in an area with Simulcast.

Xtreme116

Premium Subscriber
Aprswatcher, thanks so much for the in-depth information in your PM!! Very worthwhile information, I really appreciate it!!

Mharris, I also appreciate your input! It does appear as if the SDS100 would be the most beneficial. I’ll see what Santa decides!

I truly appreciate the breadth of knowledge in these forums. I’ve been following them for years. I really appreciate the attitudes of the members here and their willingness to help those of us with questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.