Biloxi/Gulfport, MS unknown trunking system- Originally posted in Fed forum

Wilrobnson

SARCASTIC President (Deposed)
Biloxi/Gulfport, MS unknown trunking system.

406.4750 ($110)
406.5625 ($110)
406.6625 ($110)
406.7625 ($110)

Only TGID received on any freq was "1". Security/police dispatch and patrol. Locations included "2-Tango-24" and "Bravo-2". License plates and driver's licenses were being run. One officer was waiting for a visitor from OIG. RIDs were all in the 5xxx range.

I am leaning towards this being the VA Hospital in Biloxi. The DB here lists their police as using 171.0125 ($293) but I found that to possibly be the VA Hospital Engineering channel in New Orleans; this freq was not received at all while in Biloxi for a week.

Oddly, all of the output freqs received were in the neighborhood of 1-2x5 RSSI. All of the traffic I received on the input freqs was 5x5; portables (guy in a stairwell), mobiles (a traffic stop) and what sounded like a base station (dispatcher). I was approximately 2 miles from this facility. All of the recorded traffic took place between 2000-0900 hours daily.

The radio was one of the TRX-1s running my UHF NAC search list, 400.000-420.000, fed by a Diamond D220R mobile discone. QTH was the 22nd floor of a building in Biloxi, facing south. (This radio will reject 'hanging' on a control channel)

Ideas? I should be back there in a few months.

Technoguy58

Was in Biloxi twice recently for work and did not hear anything on any of the frequencies you listed. Could not find a control channel either. You state that all of the recorded traffic was between 8:00 PM and 9:00 AM. Seems kind of odd. Nothing during the day?? I was 2 blocks from the VA facility and heard zip. Since you were 22 floors up in the air and only heard these frequencies active at night time, I am thinking maybe some favorable atmospheric conditions for skip?? Did you ever hear a control channel?? If not, what makes you think it might be a trunked system?? Possibly conventional P25??

Wilrobnson

SARCASTIC President (Deposed)
I did not hear a control channel; the radio recorded for 4 days in a row while I was away and occupied. See my note where the TRX will reject recording a control channel.

I don't believe it was skip, primarily due to the mobiles and portables being received so well. I could hear on the input freq for one of the voice channels where one of the users was walking down a stairwell as if it was in my hotel, replete with echo. The output freq of the same guy sounded further away and muffled.

I stated I thought it could be a trunked system (as opposed to conventional) based on receiving the same radio traffic, with the same user radio IDs, with the same NAC, with the same talkgroup, on four disparate frequencies. After slotting them in the order of time/date stamps, I could hear the entire conversations, just like every other TRS I've monitored in conventional mode.

scanphreak

This could possibly be STENNIS SPACE CENTER in Hancock County. They're running a federal 406mhz motorola smartzone trunking system. All of their known frequencies are listed in the database. It just so happens that the Stennis Police talkgroup in HEX mode is 001.