Biloxi/Gulfport, MS unknown trunking system- Originally posted in Fed forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Biloxi/Gulfport, MS unknown trunking system.

406.4750 ($110)
406.5625 ($110)
406.6625 ($110)
406.7625 ($110)

Only TGID received on any freq was "1". Security/police dispatch and patrol. Locations included "2-Tango-24" and "Bravo-2". License plates and driver's licenses were being run. One officer was waiting for a visitor from OIG. RIDs were all in the 5xxx range.

I am leaning towards this being the VA Hospital in Biloxi. The DB here lists their police as using 171.0125 ($293) but I found that to possibly be the VA Hospital Engineering channel in New Orleans; this freq was not received at all while in Biloxi for a week.

Oddly, all of the output freqs received were in the neighborhood of 1-2x5 RSSI. All of the traffic I received on the input freqs was 5x5; portables (guy in a stairwell), mobiles (a traffic stop) and what sounded like a base station (dispatcher). I was approximately 2 miles from this facility. All of the recorded traffic took place between 2000-0900 hours daily.

The radio was one of the TRX-1s running my UHF NAC search list, 400.000-420.000, fed by a Diamond D220R mobile discone. QTH was the 22nd floor of a building in Biloxi, facing south. (This radio will reject 'hanging' on a control channel)

Ideas? I should be back there in a few months.

Technoguy58

Was in Biloxi twice recently for work and did not hear anything on any of the frequencies you listed. Could not find a control channel either. You state that all of the recorded traffic was between 8:00 PM and 9:00 AM. Seems kind of odd. Nothing during the day?? I was 2 blocks from the VA facility and heard zip. Since you were 22 floors up in the air and only heard these frequencies active at night time, I am thinking maybe some favorable atmospheric conditions for skip?? Did you ever hear a control channel?? If not, what makes you think it might be a trunked system?? Possibly conventional P25??

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I did not hear a control channel; the radio recorded for 4 days in a row while I was away and occupied. See my note where the TRX will reject recording a control channel.

I don't believe it was skip, primarily due to the mobiles and portables being received so well. I could hear on the input freq for one of the voice channels where one of the users was walking down a stairwell as if it was in my hotel, replete with echo. The output freq of the same guy sounded further away and muffled.

I stated I thought it could be a trunked system (as opposed to conventional) based on receiving the same radio traffic, with the same user radio IDs, with the same NAC, with the same talkgroup, on four disparate frequencies. After slotting them in the order of time/date stamps, I could hear the entire conversations, just like every other TRS I've monitored in conventional mode.

scanphreak

This could possibly be STENNIS SPACE CENTER in Hancock County. They're running a federal 406mhz motorola smartzone trunking system. All of their known frequencies are listed in the database. It just so happens that the Stennis Police talkgroup in HEX mode is 001.

scanphreak

After months of delays (#COVID) and PCS issues, I'll be back in Gulfport in 2 weeks. Finally and permanently.

you mentioned VA in your original post. I just wanted to let you know that the VA information in the database for Harrison is accurate. Their law enforcement ops is still on 164.9625 P25. I've been copying traffic. I am still at a loss as to what you intercepted that day. I don't know where you got 171.0125 from but this is the db information for the VA in Biloxi. Mississippi - MS Federal Agencies Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
you mentioned VA in your original post. I just wanted to let you know that the VA information in the database for Harrison is accurate. Their law enforcement ops is still on 164.9625 P25. I've been copying traffic. I am still at a loss as to what you intercepted that day. I don't know where you got 171.0125 from but this is the db information for the VA in Biloxi. Mississippi - MS Federal Agencies Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
I'll suss it out soon enough. I don't recall the origin of that 171 freq but I believe it was from here; perhaps an update has occurred?

Regardless, I sifted through the GMF and grabbed freqs for most of south MS as well as the NOLA area. The mystery system was not in there at all so I'm leaning a bit towards DOD?

scanphreak

That's interesting. there are two different spots with conflicting information. My radios have 164.9625 MHz programmed and I head the VA police all the time on it. Well the band for the UHF system you heard is obviously government. NCBC and Keesler are on the 380 mhz trunked system, not sure what the GPT CTRC is using now... Stennis was the only thing in that band to my knowledge. I hope you figure it out through.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Small update:

I was just in GPT for a week (I travel a lot for work). I found P25 traffic on 142mhz from the CRTC, received traffic on 171.0125 from the VA, and, on the 10 near the Folgers Plant in NOLA, I *think* I caught traffic from this mystery system. Unfortunately I was on a conference call at the time and couldn't verify it.

I left a scanner recording at MSY and will post findings when I return in a few weeks.

scanphreak

Small update:

I was just in GPT for a week (I travel a lot for work). I found P25 traffic on 142mhz from the CRTC, received traffic on 171.0125 from the VA, and, on the 10 near the Folgers Plant in NOLA, I *think* I caught traffic from this mystery system. Unfortunately I was on a conference call at the time and couldn't verify it.

I left a scanner recording at MSY and will post findings when I return in a few weeks.
we don't care about new orleans lol... I'm curious about the CRTC... Do you have the exact frequency on 142mhz you heard the P25 traffic? If not that's okay. I'll head out and park near the airport and scan around to find activity.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I do not. I spent 6 straight days unpacking the house/buying furniture, sleeping 2-4 hours a night in preparation for a 17 day TDY. The best I can recall was it was 141.xxxx or 142.xxxx with a NAC of $293; the recording was 17 seconds of open mic while someone walked and talked on what was likely a cell phone.

I drew the freqs directly from the GMF which reflects 141.2125 for "CRTC Civil Engineering" or 142.2375 for "CRTC Base Operations".

Regardless, a radio is recording at home in Gulfport, 2.84 miles from and facing the CRTC, and another is recording at MSY, in a south-facing window above TSA.

scanphreak

I do not. I spent 6 straight days unpacking the house/buying furniture, sleeping 2-4 hours a night in preparation for a 17 day TDY. The best I can recall was it was 141.xxxx or 142.xxxx with a NAC of $293; the recording was 17 seconds of open mic while someone walked and talked on what was likely a cell phone.

I drew the freqs directly from the GMF which reflects 141.2125 for "CRTC Civil Engineering" or 142.2375 for "CRTC Base Operations".

Regardless, a radio is recording at home in Gulfport, 2.84 miles from and facing the CRTC, and another is recording at MSY, in a south-facing window above TSA.

wow... sounds like you've had your hands full. Well that's cool that you have a radio logging transmissions and recording. Hopefully you'll get some good activity, especially right now the CRTC has ramped up Southern Strike 2021 as of this past weekend.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
On 4/12/21 at 0818 hours, I *did* indeed catch a single transmission as I suspected.
406.6626 ($110), TGID-1, RID 5409. 1x5 quality, however. Female saying something was 10-4.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
Well, I was in NOLA all day for work on Thursday. I received several transmissions on two of the freqs I've found for this system, all of them from the top of the tall I-10 bridge in Gentilly Woods area.

I was all over the city on Thursday, from Michaud to Federal City to the SUNO area to MSY airport and never located any other points where I could receive traffic.

Based on what I heard, as well as known frequencies, I'm nearly ready to call this the Federal Reserve Bank. The traffic heard seems to match what I've caught from other branches in the past.

I need to get closer to confirm, and to figure out why I've never received a control channel.

I'm thinking that:

A- The control channel has the power cranked down for range but the voice channels remain at a higher power for in-building coverage (seen this before on trunking systems); or

B- My reception last August was super-ducting and I was hearing multiple locations, including Birmingham and Jax.

Status
Not open for further replies.