bin files/how do you extract data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how to extract a bin file? I am using psr edit software which by the way is the best I ever used!!! and when I saved my frequency file to a folder it goes to a bin file which I cant open? Even winzip doesnt??!! Any help would be appreciated.

DonS

That ".BIN" file can only be opened by a program that understands the format. For example:
* PSREdit500
* Win500
* the demo app that came on the CD with the scanner

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
LordJ - completely different from what we're talking about.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
You Can Use Select All In The Edit Menu Then Copy / Paste The Whole Grid To Excel Or Wordpad Without Messing With The Bin Files.........

mikey60

Does anyone know how to extract a bin file? I am using psr edit software which by the way is the best I ever used!!! and when I saved my frequency file to a folder it goes to a bin file which I cant open? Even winzip doesnt??!! Any help would be appreciated.

As Don said, you should be able to open the file in PSREdit500 (the program that created it), Win500, or the demo app that came with the scanner.

The file isn't a program or compressed in any way, it's just straight configuration data from the radio.

Mike

A program like ISOBUSTER will extract the raw data from a .bin file. Other progams can do the same thing for windows or mac. Files of .bin format are not a new thing created for scanner programs, they were created for other purposes before the new breed of scanners ever existed.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
A program like ISOBUSTER will extract the raw data from a .bin file. Other progams can do the same thing for windows or mac.

Absolutely not. Just because it ends in .bin doesn't mean it's the same as what you are talking about.

Read again:

That ".BIN" file can only be opened by a program that understands the format. For example:
* PSREdit500
* Win500
* the demo app that came on the CD with the scanner

DonS

Actually, PHOENIX_SCANNER is at least partially correct: any program that can open and process raw, binary data can manipulate and/or display that data.

Whether you'll be able to do anything useful with the data is another matter, entirely. In the case of the .BIN files generated by PSREdit500, Win500, and the "GRE Demo App", using such a "binary-handling file" is almost certainly a waste of time - unless you know, or are trying to determine, the scanner's data format.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
True - I guess he could also say that I could rip my harddrive out and give it to him and he can get data off it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.