Bird Flu Drill today, comms on 417.250 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-95

Yesterday at around 5PM I heard someone bring up a link on 417.250 Mhz. I heard DTMF tones and then a pre-recorded female voice announce: "D-O-D 544 Connected." A few minutes later :"D-O-D 544 disconnected.". I have this frequency in my notes as an FBI link frequency. I turn on the scanner this morning at around 9AM and hear actvity on the frequency. Someone sending exercise messages to a station identifying as "Public Health".
These messages went on for a few hours today. I finally found out it was a FEMA bird flu drill! Anybody else hear anything about this?? There was nothing in the media about it. I got the info from a local ham who has something to do with FEMA. Anyway, it seems like 417.250 Mhz is still a link frequency. I suspect it's located on the WRAL-FM tower in Auburn .

Last edited:

10-95

Follow up:

After monitoring 417.250 Mhz for a while I was able to tape some audio of that link and have determined it is not D-O-D-544 But rather K-O-B-544. After doing some research I discovered this is one of the call signs for the states emergency medical network of links that operate on MED-10. The info I found has K-O-B-544 located on Blue Ridge rd.
I guess along with using MED-10 for emergency link traffic they have also gotten 417.250 MHZ as well.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You also located in Garner? We need to catch up sometime and talk radio stuff...PM or email me...
Marshall Sherard KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.