Birmingham Medical Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what system BHM. area ambulances use for patient
reports, DR. orders, ect. while en-route to the hospital?
Used to be the old HEAR system on 155.34000 about 20 years ago.
I haven't heard any talkgroups on the BHM. Trunked system, don't tell
me it's Southern - Linc!

CSL126

I hate to break it to you, but I think it is Southern Linc. I live in Tuscaloosa and paramedics around here NEVER use the old VHF or UHF frequencies to transmit patient reports anymore. Keep listening though, you never know..

That's what I was afraid of. I was in Medical Center East ER a few months ago
and heard that distinctive "beep beep" from a Paramedics handheld!

smithw14

Birmingham Fire & Rescue has a trunking channel direct to Trauma Communications Center (TCC), which is operated under the Birmingham Regional Emergency Medical Services System (BREMSS) in Birmingham. They use cell phones for direct connect to hospitals. A FEW Ambulances still use HEAR - but not many - mostly out of county/out of state ambulances. Most of the other major ambulance carriers here in Birmingham use cell phones to contact TCC for hospital diversions and also to directly contact hospitals.

TCC monitors the HEAR, as well as dispatches LifeSaver and is linked up via intricate computers to all the hospitals. They are basically the traffic control of Ambulances & Hospitals in the Birmingham Metro Area.

http://www.bremss.org

zac

Premium Subscriber
so the BREMSS dispatches LifeSaver. Is the dispatch by phone or radio frequency? if frequency what is it?

smithw14

Well, yeah, sorta. LifeSaver is dispatched through TCC, which is operated by BREMSS, which is owned by UAB.

I think it is both. Well, I'm not sure if it is a phone or what, but I believe they have some other means of actually waking up or alerting the lifesaver staff (whether intercom, phone, page, etc.) They also dispatch via southern link and radio: 155.3550

They use to only give out information via the 155.3550 once the helicopter was airborn, but as of a year or so ago, they started dispatching the call out via the radio as well (whether out of necessity or formality, I'm not sure). I'm also not sure if that is their primary means of notification/dispatch now, or if they still use other means. For a Birmingham call out, they usually start their dispatch on the radio "LifeSaver Birmingham scamble, LifeSaver Birmingham scramble.... on scene flight....." and then give details. Its very interesting to listen to. I haven't listend in a while though.

They opperate out of 3 bases. Birmingham (Carraway Hospital), Anniston, and I believe they just opened up a new base in Auburn/Opelika.

Here is their website: http://www.alabamalifesaver.net

-William

zac

Premium Subscriber
I was in B'ham this eve and heard LifeSaver dispatch Anniston base to a interfacility transfer from Sycalagua to Brookwood.

I heard the Birmingham base "Lifesaver Birmingham Scaramble" a day or so ago
followed by position reports & patient updates on 155.355mhz. Guess they use
VHF when Southern-Linc service isn't available. (heard them say "this radio's clear,
go ahead with your report)

Status
Not open for further replies.