Birmingham Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Director1

Does anyone have a roblem hearing Birmingham police? Sometimes I dont hear anything, when I know they are talking, could this be a problem with how it is programed in my scanner?

TechnoDave

I have experienced that in the past. When it did happen, I just plugged my scanner into the computer and uploaded all my info again. That seemed to help. I dont know why...but it did.

smithw14

On my Pro-96 I have that problem at times, and I have both the Birmingham and Jefferson County control channels programmed in (I think I used the right terminology there). Somebody told me a while back to do that to increase reception, and it seemed to help some, but it still messes up at times. What I usually notice when it does is that it will pause on a channel, the lightning bolt will show up like someone is transmitting, but there is no audio.

Oh, and strangely enough, it only seems to happen when there is a 10-100, 10-33, or when there is something extremely interesting going on that I want to listen to. Ha! :)

I also cannot pick up any conventional non-digital traffic worth a flyin' flip on this thing. I have to break out my old school Uniden Bearcat bc60xlt, which will easily pick up Mountain Brook, Hoover, Homewood, and on a good night, some Shelby County agencies from where I live in Southside. With my PRO-96, I can't pick up any Shelby County agency sittin’ smack-dab in the middle of Shelby County, and can barely pick up Hoover when I'm (you guessed it) sitting in the middle of Hoover! Granted, I'm probably just doing something wrong, being as it took me 2 years to figure out (quite ecstatically) that you don't have to wait for a digital channel ID to transmit in order to pause on it, so, yeah. (In my defense, the user’s manual for the Pro-96 is not very user-friendly).

Ok, I’ve said my thing.

G’nite!

William

Try using the attenuator for Hoover's UHF system. I've found the PRO-96 suffers from front-end overload on UHF & 800. As for scanning in general, I'm afraid it's a dying hobby. I miss my old 18CH BC210xl!

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
Pro 96

My Pro 96 works very well scanning Nashville Metro Police Motorola Type II Smartzone system and works very well listening to Gallatin Police (which is 18 miles north of Nashville) on their conventional frequency 460.475. My conventional and trunked mode works very well, the reason you might be having problems scanning in conventional smithw14 is you might have the attentuator set on because i have done that in the middle of gallatin when the GPD is transmitting and it weakens the transmission down a lot because my Pro 96 doest not suffer from overload, so try to make sure the attenuator mode is set off and then try it again. I have family that live in Cordova (Walker County) and Pelham (Shelby County) and ive monitored all them in conventional mode and i seem to receive just fine.

jimlawrence

... As for scanning in general, I'm afraid it's a dying hobby. I miss my old 18CH BC210xl!

Please tell us more about this. While I don't live in Alabama, I visit quite regularly. Why do you think scanning in general in Alabama and/or in Birmingham is a dying hobby?

SCPD

QRT
Please tell us more about this. While I don't live in Alabama, I visit quite regularly. Why do you think scanning in general in Alabama and/or in Birmingham is a dying hobby?

was just his opinion is all. I've lived her in Montgomer& have been scanning for 25 years. sure things change etec , go with the chnaces is all you need to do. Yeas there will always be things you can not listen to.. so adapt & find replacements

Last edited:
What I meant to say was the days of hearing it all are gone. The P96 works great, but with Linc & NEXTEL being used extensively by public safety - especially for medical comms, there is a lot we can't hear now that we could 25 years ago.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
The P96 works great, but with Linc & NEXTEL being used extensively by public safety - especially for medical comms, there is a lot we can't hear now that we could 25 years ago.

One business and pleasure trips out of state, i've noticed in many places (for example, cities and counties where i've stayed in Louisana, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Minnesota, Kentucky, and Virginia) that they still give patient information out by radio (except for the name, of course.) This even occurs on Trunked systems and digital trunked systems!

I wonder why most medical comms in Alabama went over to SL or Nextel, or even cellular? Its not HIPPA, since they disappeared well before HIPPA came into law.

Warren

I noticed the same thing when I lived in North Alabama a few years ago. The HEAR was used in Morgan County and 462.9500Mhz (MED-9/ AKA "The PAR") was very active in Madison County.

Status
Not open for further replies.