Birmingham rail frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten most if not all rail frequencies in my scanner but I've been wondering about a few others. What frequencies are the rail police on? They have a base at Norris Yard in Irondale. And what frequencies are the defect detectors on? The latter won't be exciting I know, but It would be a good way to know if a train is nearby.

Thanks,
Bobby

dave911

Premium Subscriber
Good question. I would be interested in knowing that, too. I wonder just how busy the RR PD is in this area?

rbryant2

It's been a number of years since I listened to railroad traffic on a regular basis, but give 161.205 (AAR Ch 73) and 160.620 (AAR Ch 34) a try. I have those listed on one of my OLD freq. list for Norfolk Southern Police.

SCPD

QRT
I suggest you scroll back i( or run a search) in this forum a couple of months or so ago & find the long lists I posted then.
Paul

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
Norfolk-Southern detectors are on the Road Channel, 160.950. They are low powered and placed at about fifteen mile (am I right?) intervals.

Very recently in north Alabama the boxes were updated with a new computerized voice. Got to hear detection messages in the testing phase, "Warning! Warning!..." Some of the mile post reference points were adjusted as well.

Plus instead of "dot" the voice says "point" now when identifying tenths in mile posts. For instance, "Norfolk-Southern mile post four-two-four point two, no defects." It used to say, "Norfolk-Southern mile post four-two-four dot zero, no defects."

To my knowledge, I've nevr heard a railroad police unit on railroad frequencies. For years there was only one guy for all of northwest Alabama. He used to call sometimes for tag or dl, etc. querys. When he retired in the lat eighties or very early nineties, he wasn't replaced. Might be one around now though.

As b-t-s-m said, I bet it's different in Birmingham!

SCPD

QRT
Yay for Dave, LOL I even tried for a few minutes & couldn't locate em haha :):)
hmm & original post was for the same person ?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.