Birmingport,Mulga area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogbutt

I live close to Bessemer and my son lives in Birmingport, I have a radioshack pro 197 I can give him but it doesn't pick up Jefferson County simulcast at his house. Programmed all the control channel frequencies from different locations and no luck. Do I need an antenna for that region? If anyone lives in that area let me know what ya got and what I need..

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Which control channels were you using? The closest site will probably be Forestdale/Adamsville, which is part of the simulcast cell. That CC is 855.6875.

Wenonah (853.275) and Gilmore (853.750) are the next closest sites. You won't hear as much activity on them though, as they only carry talkgroups that are currently being monitored by a radio affiliated with that site. This is especially true with Gilmore given its remote location and limited number of radios affiliated with it. The simulcast cell carries all traffic on the system, regardless of which site it originated from.

All of the sites I mentioned are within 10 miles of that general area. Unless your son lives in a terrible location for RF, you should be able to receive something with the stock antenna. If it helps, here is a map of the system: jeffcotrs-1.jpg

Frogbutt

Yea I did some research because it wouldn't pick anything up, so I programmed all cc in and still nothing using a stock antenna..

It will pick up conventional channels just nothing on Jefferson County..Must be a bad area,got me scratching my.head..So I'm thinking outside antenna maybe...

Sent from my Lumia 920 via tapatalk.....

Frogbutt

Had a 20ft antenna cable I used to have my antenna on..Hooked it to scanner with no antenna ran it out my sons door and boom...Picking up Jefferson County now in Birmingport...

Sent from my Lumia 920 via tapatalk.....

Status
Not open for further replies.