• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BK KNG-2 won't boot when powered up

Status
Not open for further replies.

footage

Premium Subscriber
My KNG2-P150 suddenly won't boot up when powered up. I've tried it with two freshly charged batteries. Is there a reboot sequence or a local fix to this, or do I need to send it in for service? This is an almost new radio. Thanks.

rsmith7799

Good morning, do you have the software and programming cable? If you do, hook up the radio to your computer, get the radio into bluelight special mode and load up the newest software that is available (5.5.0 r) If you need some more info you can call me and I'll go through it with you.

footage

Premium Subscriber
I do, but the radio won't turn on and therefore I don't think it's really connecting to the computer. Or does it not need to be turned on?

footage

Premium Subscriber
Good morning, do you have the software and programming cable? If you do, hook up the radio to your computer, get the radio into bluelight special mode and load up the newest software that is available (5.5.0 r) If you need some more info you can call me and I'll go through it with you.
I should be clearer. The radio doesn't power up with a fresh battery. I tried to connect it to the computer but that didn't affect the state of the radio. Have you seen this before?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
When the radio last worked, was it ON and running then you noticed it was not working.
Or was it on like normal, you turned off, then at a later time you turned it on and had no response?

footage

Premium Subscriber
The second case. It worked fine in the evening, wouldn't power up in the morning. Charged up two new batteries, neither worked. I keep thinking this is something really simple that I'm not seeing clearly.

rsmith7799

I do, but the radio won't turn on and therefore I don't think it's really connecting to the computer. Or does it not need to be turned on?
Get the radio hooked up to your computer and get the radio into blue light mode. It seams it’s not on but it actually is. The BLUELIGHT will light up, get Lightning Light up and hit the START button.

footage

Premium Subscriber
Get the radio hooked up to your computer and get the radio into blue light mode. It seams it’s not on but it actually is. The BLUELIGHT will light up, get Lightning Light up and hit the START button.
I do see that 5.5.0s is a fix for this problem. I've installed Lightning Light and fixed the driver permission issue but I can't get radio and computer to talk to each other. Probably my inexperience with Windows.
Thanks anyway.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Yikes, glad i got mine updated to 5.5.0s
hope BK takes care of its customers if the 5.5.0r firmware had a bug in it and caused the radios to not turn on anymore.

rsmith7799

So to add misery to this dilemma, I was told that there is a ribbon cable that is failing on the KNG2CMD series. I have sent a few back to the Depot and to a repair facility AFTER the warranties had expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.