• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BK KNG CMD P150 programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpforsich

Hello again RR, I am having an issue with programming of BK KNG CMD radios. I can get the radios to talk with the computer but not the programming software. All radios and the software are brand new. I think I've found out that this is kind of a two step process. Step one being to update the firmware on each radio to match that of the programming software. The radios came with firmware 5.3.0 (for whatever reason), and have to be updated to at least 5.5.0. I am able to successfully connect the radio and place in programming mode to accomplish this part (via the Lightning Light updater), which makes me think that my problem is not a driver issue. Once the firmware is updated however, I am unable to connect to the radio in the RES software. Any thoughts? I parsed this document in detail to try to work through the answer with no success: https://www.bktechnologies.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/RES Training.pdf. Any help would be appreciated!

emtclimber

Premium Subscriber
I am having a similar problem. using neovision as well as RES. have a p150 and only the neovision 2.4 sees the radio. when i click on read radio the program freezes and wont do anything. i am using windows 10

rsmith7799

The P-150 and P150 S are the same programming file (KNG EDITOR FW 1.6.1/SW 1.2.0). When you get into the KNG Command and the KNG2 Command they use RES FW 5.5.0 r/SW 5.8.14. These are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT Software and Firmware Programs.

Last edited:

emtclimber

Premium Subscriber
got the radio to read and write. Next step is how do i update the firmware?

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Download the appropriate (latest) firmware and install it; it will be called 'Lightning Light vxx' where xx is the version. Start that app first and connect the programming cable. To put the radio in bootloader mode, press the PTT key while turning the radio ON. Lightning Light should recognize the radio and you can initiate the firmware update.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Read the above again. When the radio has the new firmware it will restart in normal mode.

emtclimber

Premium Subscriber
Download the appropriate (latest) firmware and install it; it will be called 'Lightning Light vxx' where xx is the version. Start that app first and connect the programming cable. To put the radio in bootloader mode, press the PTT key while turning the radio ON. Lightning Light should recognize the radio and you can initiate the firmware update.
im using windows 10. Im trying to put in boot mode and it wont work. This is a KNG p150

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
KNG P150 and KNG2 P150 are virtually the same radio with different displays.
You don't put the computer in boot mode, you put the RADIO in bootloader mode. Note also that the Lightning Light application will tell you what version of the RES editor you must use to program the radio after the firmware is upgraded. Trying to use a different version of RES won't likely work.

If the Lightning Light software has been installed properly (I have it installed on a Windows 10 laptop without issues) you start the application on the PC, preferably with the programming cable already connected between the radio and PC, and then place the radio in bootloader mode as earlier described.

If the Lightning Light application has been properly installed, the application will recognize the radio as soon as the radio enters bootloader mode by the radio type appearing by itself in the upper left window of the application display. You can tell if the RADIO is in bootloader mode because the T/R LED will be flashing blue.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest contacting BK Radio, since I have a couple hundred KNG and KNG2 portables that I support and I know the above works. If it's a Windows 10 issue, I can't help you because I haven't bumped into any Windows 10 issues.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
If an application doesn't seem to be working, try opening it as admin and see what happens.

emtclimber

Premium Subscriber
I’ve tried admin mode. Can’t get the radio in boot mode. I am using KNG EDITOR to read and program radio

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
1. You should have the Lightning Light running and the programming cable & adaptor hooked to the radio. If that isn't done you might not see the radio go into bootloader mode.

2. Maybe you aren't holding the PTT button long enough. With the radio OFF, press the PTT button and turn the radio ON, do not release the PTT button until the T/R LED. If, even if you don't release the PTT button the radio comes up in normal mode, that is an indication the firmware application isn't operating properly.

3. The firmware update program shows up as Lightning Light. Is that what you see? The proper programming is called RES, and version is important. If you don't have those as I have explained, then you aren't using the right applications.

4. If the software says "KNG-S Editor" it is not the right application for a KNG-P150... The KNG-P150'S' and the KNG-P150 use completely different software and firmware applications. The codeplugs are somewhat portable between the two but the programming software is different. So is the firmware. You cannot turn a P150'S' into a P150 via firmware.

5. What version of firmware are you trying to load into the radio? It may be that you really don't need to upload new firmware. The 'big' changes in radio characteristics took place some years ago; the latest stuff is more or less specialized to make the radio compatible with some agencies' needs and normal users wouldn't get anything out of an upgrade. But you must use the proper version of the programming software for the firmware version in the radio.

6. If the radio is a very old production run (you can tell by the serial number) then there might be other concerns, as the internals of the radio were changed somewhere about 2011. I suggest if you bought the radio from a dealer then you get in touch with the dealer. If you bought it from a private party, maybe you could ask that party for a copy of the firmware and the programming application they used.

I've done all I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.