• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BK KNG P800 squelch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpetraglia

My portable is probably 4 years old. Been perfect until very recently. Now when it breaks squelch with a P25 TG it has a loud thump type noise. Everything else is still working fine. I have tried reloading the code plug with no difference.

Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Perhaps try reloading the firmware.
Its possible it has developed a hardware issue. I would hope not after 4 years. My KNG2 P800 is approaching 4 years and last year it was sent off due to failing RF deck. It was at the end of the 3 year warranty. They replaced some parts and gave me a 1 year warranty on the radio.

cpetraglia

No I don't. It's just a loud thump right at the beginning of a transmission. My other P800 does not do it at all, nor does my M800. It must be a hardware issue.

gtaman

The speakers trend to go bad pretty easily in these. Attach a speaker mic. If the issue goes away it may be related to the main speaker. If not then I would send it off to FL to be looked at.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Wait, so your hearing the thump through a small amp attached to your speaker mic?
If you dont hear the thump from the radios speaker or the speaker mic its possible your amplifying the audio amp kicking in when the raido is about to pass audio.
Similar to how Unication Amplified speaker/charger used to do something similar. In fact it was heard most often when it was tied to an online feed.

cpetraglia

I have two other BK radios that all go through a mixer and a small amp. Only this one radio in particular makes the noise. My other two are silent.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Ok thats better.
My best guess is hardware failure. I like the radios but there are still some bugs in software and not sure how well they will hold up long term.
I have had my APX 8 years and no internal issues.
2 years into my KNG2 and it went back for factory work. That was a year ago.

cpetraglia

Yea, but the thing is, I don't move them around at all. I am very gentle with them. By using an external amp, I keep the radio volume low. I had worried a little about all this when I put out the bucks for them. Nothing lasts like stuff used to.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Doesn't bode well for a "desk queen" radio that has an electrical failure in that short of a time. I wonder if the factory will support your product and repair it for low/no-cost? They are a small company compared to the other guys, so they may be more apt to keep an end user happy especially when the product is faulty and not run over by a fire engine.

cpetraglia

Doesn't bode well for a "desk queen" radio that has an electrical failure in that short of a time. I wonder if the factory will support your product and repair it for low/no-cost? They are a small company compared to the other guys, so they may be more apt to keep an end user happy especially when the product is faulty and not run over by a fire engine.
I took the chance and ordered a new aftermarket speaker/mic. Reconnected it all the way it was and the thump noise is gone. So it must have been a failed circuit board in the speaker/mic. Problem solved. Thank god it wasn't the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.