black tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin_Jay

What is that big black communicatoins tower on the corner of Eglinton and Pharmacy Ave, ? How high is it?

SCPD

QRT
Used to drive past that beast every day. As I recall, it belongs to Bell Canada. It was a commercial repeater tower and had many users on it. It was also one of Bells original cellular sites and the old metro police radios had space on there as well. I think it might have even had long distance relay dishes on it at one point. Many years since I've seen it now. Not sure on the height but I'd guess in the 150 ft range. If memory serves there is a huge Bell telephone exchange building right close to it as well.

A great landmark but it used to generate a ton of intermod.

MetalCarnage

wheelchair said:
Used to drive past that beast every day. As I recall, it belongs to Bell Canada. It was a commercial repeater tower and had many users on it. It was also one of Bells original cellular sites and the old metro police radios had space on there as well. I think it might have even had long distance relay dishes on it at one point. Many years since I've seen it now. Not sure on the height but I'd guess in the 150 ft range. If memory serves there is a huge Bell telephone exchange building right close to it as well.

A great landmark but it used to generate a ton of intermod.

I thought someone was telling me that it is the "Bell East" tower that TPS uses currently?

If that is not it, where is the Bell East tower located exactly?

SCPD

QRT
It may very well be that TPS still uses the tower. I was actually talking about the DBT (days before trunks) when they were on VHF and the only way to listen was to build a filter to remove that annoying rattling data noise. The first CTCSS decoding radio fixed that quickly though.

I think that tower actually sits on property belonging to Metro so it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to utilize space on this beast. It is a good height too.

Jammin_Jay

I was thinking it was the Bell Tower , east tower for the Cities Public Saftey Trunking system, i saw the word bell on the side of the building that housed the tower. You can actually see the tower from the 401 for many km's.

SCPD

QRT
Tower belongs to Bell as far as I know. The property that the building and tower sit on belongs to Metro Toronto unless they unloaded it to Bell. Same tower.

MetalCarnage

wheelchair said:
Tower belongs to Bell as far as I know. The property that the building and tower sit on belongs to Metro Toronto unless they unloaded it to Bell. Same tower.

Now that thats setttled, lol

Jammin_Jay

Well, i didnt mean to start a frenzy of where exactly the bell tower location is. I just wondered about what exactly that black tower i described early, what its functions were. If some of u are indicating that the actually TPS site is further down by a few blocks, just wondered what that tower is, that i mentioned. Its structure is pretty massive, looks like an old style tower, upon inspection u can notice a few microwave horn guides. If u look on a google satellite map, u can actually zoom in, and see the tower on google satellite mapping system, most towers u can't even see on it, but this u can. TPS site tower is located off of St Clair E. this one is actually between Ashtonabee and Eglington close to Pharmacy Ave. I just found its height impressive for the size of it.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

Well, i didnt mean to start a frenzy of where exactly the bell tower location is. I just wondered about what exactly that black tower i described early, what its functions were.
It's the Bell tower and it's a dual TPS site, among other things.

If some of u are indicating that the actually TPS site is further down by a few blocks,
No, pathalogical is just using a poorly marked map to confuse us. :)

just wondered what that tower is, that i mentioned. Its structure is pretty massive, looks like an old style tower, upon inspection u can notice a few microwave horn guides.
Back in its prime, it was full of microwave gear.

TPS site tower is located off of St Clair E.
Well, the Bell tower, 10 Glen Everest and 275 Main St. are all about 2 km from St. Clair East and only the Bell tower is a "tower", so I'm wondering what site you're referring to?

Jammin_Jay

It had bell marked on the side of the building that housed the tower. Other users told me it was St Clair, because of this so called TPS divisions map. So i assumed it was the Bell Tower, that served the TPS. As for the map, it says that the location is marked as st clair, between warden and victoria park. So the map must have it wrong in its marked location.

Actually to those of you who are curious, here is a link to the google satellite location, hyrbid mode. to the co-ordinates i am referring to and street locations. Look for the tower, at the corner of Ashtonbee Road and Pharmacy Ave to the right of the bell building will be the tower next to the parking lot. it even as a short shadow when the satellite photo was taken. Zoom in one more notch for close up

http://www.google.ca/maphp?hl=en&q=...ll=43.727925,-79.295669&spn=0.003621,0.010729

Last edited:

slicerwizard

As for the map, it says that the location is marked as st clair, between warden and victoria park. So the map must have it wrong in its marked location.
That map has the tip of the tower (rather than the base) in roughly the right place. BTW, it's _Ashtonbee_ Rd.

How high is it?
TAFL says it's over 150m.

pathalogical

slicerwizard said:
It's the Bell tower and it's a dual TPS site, among other things.

No, pathalogical is just using a poorly marked map to confuse us. :)

Back in its prime, it was full of microwave gear.

Well, the Bell tower, 10 Glen Everest and 275 Main St. are all about 2 km from St. Clair East and only the Bell tower is a "tower", so I'm wondering what site you're referring to?
Now now now, I wasn't trying to confuse anyone, that's the only one I was able to find. The link slicerwizard provided, now THAT'S a map.

SCPD

QRT
Let's hope they don't paint it orange because this whole thing will have to start all over again.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.