Blackhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikB

Feed Provider
Here in Gunnison over the last two days there has been a blackhawk helicopter making laps from here to Crested Butte and back. Anyone have any tips on where to start looking for whatever freqs or a range to start scanning?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Here in Gunnison over the last two days there has been a blackhawk helicopter making laps from here to Crested Butte and back. Anyone have any tips on where to start looking for whatever freqs or a range to start scanning?

If he's doing approaches to your airport there (GUC), I would start with these freqs:
  • 125.35/354.05 (GUNNISON RCAG)
AirNav: KGUC - Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber

Might be related to this;

Wednesday, 09 December 2009
Special Forces carving up the slopes
Inordinate numbers of camouflaged skiers have been seen bombing down Ruby Chief of late. Contrary to popular belief, camo’s not the must-have skiing steeze for this winter. Instead, the soldiers on the slopes are from the 10th Special Forces Group out of Fort Carson, Colorado, near Colorado Springs.

According to Major Karla S. Owen, Public Affairs Officer for the 10th, the larger group of soldiers will start arriving January 5 for 10 days of training in Crested Butte, and then they will be in Taylor Park between approximately January 20 to January 31. More than 200 soldiers will make the trip to learn about snow safety, backcountry travel, and hone their skiing skills.

Jim<

Last edited:

ErikB

Feed Provider
I think you might be on to something Jim. I was talking to some of those guys while I was up skiing last weekend and they said they were going to be training in Taylor park starting this Monday. I always have Gunnison Unicom (122.700) on in the scanner and did not hear a peep out of this chopper this afternoon. Maybe they are staging a LZ up in taylor park?? Not sure. I would like to try to pick up some of the Military freqs that might be in use. He is always flying solo, but I would imagine in is communicating with someone somewhere. Funny I never made the connection between the chopper and the special forces dudes up on the ski hill till you just now mentioned it.

Data-
I have those KZDV freqs programmed, but have not turned them on in the last few days. Typically the only thing you will hear on those is the flights coming from denver transitioning into the Gunnison approach, I will have to turn them back on and have a listen. Thanks for the link and digging those freqs up for me.

What I am really interested in is picking up any Military coms, that is, if there is anything to hear.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
If its a single bird, he might not be talking to any ATC. He's prob VFR. I would try to get close to the action and use a radio that has the ability to "sniff" for active freqs. Keep your fingers crossed their not using SINCGARS.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
If its a single bird, he might not be talking to any ATC. He's prob VFR. I would try to get close to the action and use a radio that has the ability to "sniff" for active freqs. Keep your fingers crossed their not using SINCGARS.

I was going to ask what " SINCGARS" is, but someone will probably me to do some research. :)

utlchris

I was going to ask what " SINCGARS" is, but someone will probably me to do some research. :)

Yeah Bob you could have easily looked that up in the Wikki, sheesh what were you thinking! :lol:

I believe in providing the answer and also posting where someone can find it or more information. We are all here to help eachother!

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Yeah Bob you could have easily looked that up in the Wikki, sheesh what were you thinking! :lol:

I believe in providing the answer and also posting where someone can find it or more information. We are all here to help eachother!

Chris, you and I think alike!!!
Answer and provide guidance! That's the way I teach at school and work, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.