Blackhawks flying over Eastern Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenAnjel

I live in Rocky Point and I have a friend who lives in Calverton. Saw a couple blackhawks this morning about 11:30 am. Then a friend posted they just flew over HER house about 12. Well, sure enough, 8 minutes later they were over my house again, then they pretty much stayed out east. I know Gabreski is out in Westhampton. I see a blackhawk or two about once a month or a little less.

Any idea what was going on? Maybe just training or something?

Too bad they weren't Chinook's! Those things are way more cooler-- one time THREE of them flew over, it was almost deafening, and like a earthquake. It was awesome! LOL

15plus1

To make identification easier, first u need to make the distinction b/w Air Guard and Army 60's. The Air Guard Pavehawks have Aerial Refueling (AR) probes protruding from the nose (looks like a long pipe). Army Guard Blackhawks do not.

Army Guard UH-60's conduct operations over the RCA property somewhat frequently. The Air Guard tends to operate off shore. But the approach procedures from the north can have them go from the Calverton VOR to Squir, which is on the S. Side of the west end of Peconic Bay. Check this link, and it might help to see what I mean.. http://www.acukwik.com/extimages/Procedures/00996IL24.PDF

HTH

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Is it possible that they were USCG Jayhawks, or even USN Seahawks? Just wondering.

15plus1

Possible, but not likely. USCG flies around, but never seen them over pine barrens..Usually transitioning along shorelines or going to / from Gabreski. Jay Hawks are easily recognized by paint scheme. Almost everyone knows what they look like. Can't remember ever seeing Navy flying around here.in choppers.

lafd55

Come to Albany and you will see and hear them literally everyday... Just because you hear or see a military aircraft doesn't mean we're under attack or some special event is going on...

FallenAnjel

Come to Albany and you will see and hear them literally everyday... Just because you hear or see a military aircraft doesn't mean we're under attack or some special event is going on...

Yes I fully understand that. I know we're not under attack . I"m usually the one answering that question at least once a week when it's cloudy and we're in the flight path of Medivac to and from Stony Brook. It sounds so much louder and I'm always getting messags "What's with "all" the choppers?" (Meanwhile it was one that went to Stony Brook and back to the base).

I was just wondering what they could be doing. One was flying around today 02-06-14, around 11 am. made at least 6 passes east to west. quite low too, normally not that low. They're so awesome to look at. :)

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
lafd55 said:
They are getting ready for whats coming!!

warren

The 142 Assault Helicopter Battalion out of LIMA (MacArthur Airport) operates 60's I believe, I think their call sign maybe Easy. Has anyone monitered these helos?

Last edited:

Tech792

We caught 2 Blackhawks going from Nj near Sandy Hook towards Long Island today. Didn't catch any ID but they were chatting on 36.80 FM.

Tech792

36.80 isn't known to me. But I actually had an eyeball on these 2 ships. When he said '"turn right", they both turned right. So it was them for sure. Also get hits on 41.00 often. Unknown if these guys were NJ or NY NG. The NJ guys normally use 40/41 mhz and 242.4, mostly based now out of Lakehurst.

FallenAnjel

Thanks for mentioning the frequencies, I'll be sure to put them in. Would be awesome to hear what they're saying.

I thought all gov't freq's were in the 200's and not accessible to the general public? (There's a LOT I don't know about scanning tho I'm able to hold my own for the most part)

Since I posted my original post two years ago Blackhawks fly over at least once a day now sometimes multiple times back and forth. Sometimes 2 at a time. Today two came over about 3 hours apart west to east along the north shore. (Could have been same one, IDK). Not too low but low enough to see detail on it. None of them ever have the AR Probes.

Are those the ones I can listen to on the frequencies mentioned above? If anyone has any other frequencies I can put in my scanner please let me know. :)

KB7MIB

Search:
30-50 MHz FM
138-144 MHz AM/FM (In AZ there is both AM air-air from Luke AFB, as well as FM repeaters for the Disaster Radio Net of the AZ Department of Emergency and Military Affairs, that is used by both emergency management and the National Guard.)
148-150.8 MHz FM
225-380 MHz AM

Also search 118-136 MHz AM for air traffic control. Most airports will have both VHF and UHF capability, but some may only have VHF that military aircraft will use alongside civillian/commercial.

162-174 MHz FM is typically non-military US goverment conventional systems.
380-400 MHz FM is typically goverment/military trunked radio systems.
406-420 MHz FM is typically goverment/military conventional and trunked radio systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.