blank articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There has been a recent rash of folks putting data into an article, then wiping the article and leaving a blank page. It also seems we've had some folks creating a bunch of empty articles in preparation for a much longer topic.

Blank pages are discouraged - they just tend to make a huge mess, and since there's nothing there worth seeing, it's wasteful as well. If you create something by mistake and want it deleted, please send me a email or RR mail and I'll drop it.

The only time we allow for 'stubs' is when a longer article is being created, and the new pages aren't ready yet. As stated in our user guide, please put something in the page to indicate it's a stub - that way I won't terminate it with extreme prejudice :D

73 and thanks Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
At least some of this is likely due to folks testing various things. There are 2 places in the wiki available for testing;

* The first is the Sandbox . However keep in mind that this is a public place; anyone can wipe the sandbox clean at any time and use it for their needs. If you use the sandbox, be sure to back up your code. Remember, you have been warned .

* A much better place to test is your user area. Under the 'Personal tools' box about 1/2 the way down the page, you should see your ID. Click on it and you will be allocated your own area. This area is much less likely to be wiped and you can keep code in there as long as you like.

Please use these 2 areas for testing, and refrain from creating an article then wiping it. It just creates an unnecessary mess. 73 Mike

Boho

I know one of those was me.

I was going to add some info for a local Trunked system but then realized I was creating an orphan page. I tried looking for a place to put it in the Edmonton wiki, but it is quite unorganized and looks nothing like any of the other city wiki's I looked at.

I had no idea where my page should go.

I realized I was in over my head and cleared it. Sorry.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Boho, no need to apologize. If you wish to test something or code something and clean it up later, please either use the sandbox or your user area (which is a better approach, frankly, since the sandbox can be wiped at any time).

Your submissions may be perfectly valid and we don't want to turn them down out of hand, just because they've become an orphan. 73 and HH Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.