bleed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
so, i have a gre pro-164, i also have a uniden pro528. i have programmed the same freqs into both and the uniden tracks perfectlty fine... but with the squelch turned all the way up on the gre..it receives bleed off from other frequencies. its like its too sensitive.. am i doing something wrong? this is not the same time this has happened on a gre to me.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
By the way, the Pro-164 is in my car, while the other is at home. I use the 164 mostly for 800 networks. But when im coming home, Ill switch back over.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It could be bleed-over

I will admit that one issue I do deal with is bleed-over on my PRO-97 & PSR-300. But then I am listening to a huge area and some of the distant signals are quite weak, and their channels are directly adjacent to local stuff. I'll get the bleed-over because I am tuned to an adjacent channel, and receiving a local, strong signal on the wrng frequency.

I use several tricks to avoid the problem. The most obvious is to require CT or DC codes on distant signals. The next one is to scan the local frequency first. For example, rather than scan these in frequency order, I swap two channels to put the local Cal Fire Camino first. If I scan 151.175 first, I'll surely pick up bleed-over from Camino.

151.160 Cal Fire Tac 2
151.190 Cal Fire Camino
151.175 Cal Fire San Andreas
151.205 Water Resources

None of this means that your radio is working correctly, or that it is broken. You'll need to supply some specific details to determine what is going on. I might add that I have some Unidens here too; and some will get bleed-over and some will not. But I certainly do not pick up the distant signals (if at all) as clearly as with the GRE models.

Another note after re-reading your post. I run my squelch very tight. I want the weakest signals to break the squelch. I use a separate dedicated scanner for 800 MHz trunked stuff, and on that the squelch is fully open (I let the scanner totally control the squelch).

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I think that it is pretty general knowledge here on RR that Uniden models are less sensitive than the GRE models. The consequences of this ... intermodulation (or as you call it .. bleed). What can you do about it .. well nothing except maybe turn on the attenuation on your scanner.

Are the Uniden models better ? No not really. There is a fine line between being too sensitive and poor selectivity. I think it depends a lot if you are in a urban or rural area and can take advantage of the increased sensitivity of the GRE models.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Thankyou, the gre that I use is in the car, and I rarely switch off from the 800 system. But when I do, it becomes a problem, because, yes, I do live in the rural area, which means Im a county kind of guy, and unfortunately the repeater thats closest to my area operates on the frequencies that I get the most bleed off from. Its not really a problem when Im just holding on one agency's channel, but since one system here is an Mpt1327, it has a 15 second hangtime before it closes- which is a big issue when Im scanning, cause it will bleed for along time when people are talking, and then I will miss things that I actually want to hear. But I totally forgot about the PL settings so Ill have to try that out- that may solve the whole problem. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.