Bleh...Need some advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB84

Hi all. I'm not very technical when it comes to scanners, but I sure do enjoy listening to them. Well, that was until my radio went quiet a couple of nights ago. Did a little research on "rebanding" and found out (wow!) I had a wee bit of work to do.

So, to cut to the chase, I've downloaded my favorite talk groups from SRRCS and put them in my banks. Problem is, I'm getting traffic from tons of different talk groups even though I'm only scanning one bank. For instance, I'll tune into the Elk Grove bank and pick up SSD, SPD, Metro and some others that I don't intend to listen to. Very frustrating and my low level of expertise here simply can't figure it out.

Here's the lowdown on my situation:

Radio Shack Pro-163
Updated firmware to 1.08
Updated Win97 to V01.35
"Web Imported" from radioreference.com with "CC only" checked and "Hide alternates" unchecked.
When I check the talkgroups to import, I keep the "Sites: 2" unchecked.

If any knowledgeable people want to offer some suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for any and all help.

Todd

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
SRRCS is almost completed with rebanding

... Well, that was until my radio went quiet a couple of nights ago. Did a little research on "rebanding" and found out (wow!) I had a wee bit of work to do.
Yup. We've been talking about this for a few years now. Welcome to RadioReference dot com. I'm glad you finally chimed in.

...Problem is, I'm getting traffic from tons of different talk groups even though I'm only scanning one bank...
That's because you have the bank set to open -- set it to CLOSED.

Some of us locals meet up from time to time and with all this rebanding now is as good of a time as any. If interested, please reply in this thread as to what is a good time for you and part of town.

TB84

Thanks for the replies.

I thought it might be a simple answer. Marked closed on the banks and seems to be working better, but I think I'm only catching some of the traffic. In fact, I am only catching some of the traffic. Such as dispatch calling for a unit but not hearing the unit's reply.

I recalled reading that the Multi-table option needed to be checked under the MOT 800 MHz and the Extended tables checked as rebanded. This is obviously for rebanded systems. When I download the bank from RR, the MOT 800 MHz is set to normal. Where should it be for SRRCS TGs?

Thanks,

Todd

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-163 & Rebanded MOT trunking

I am only catching some of the traffic. Such as dispatch calling for a unit but not hearing the unit's reply.
Let me guess. If the voice channel is 8xx.xxx5 you hear it and if it is 8xx.xxx0 you don't. That's a classic case of the scanner not being told you are monitoring an 800 MHz MOT rebanded system.

I recalled reading that the Multi-table option needed to be checked under the MOT 800 MHz and the Extended tables checked as rebanded. This is obviously for rebanded systems. When I download the bank from RR, the MOT 800 MHz is set to normal. Where should it be for SRRCS TGs?
There's several options under "Extended Tables" and the one you want is "rebanded MOT 800".

TB84

Thanks gmclan. Question, have all the major TGs been rebanded? Metro fire, city fire, SPD, SSD, EGPD, etc.

Thanks!

Todd

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
SRRCS is now completely rebanded

Thanks gmclan. Question, have all the major TGs been rebanded? Metro fire, city fire, SPD, SSD, EGPD, etc.
It's not the "TGs" that get rebanded; it is the frequencies that they operate on. So YES all TGs are affected. And now both the city and county sites are fully switched over.

TB84

Thanks again gmclam. I truly appreciate you helping me to get up and running.

If I didn't have an out of town wedding this weekend, I'd attend the local get-together.

All the best,

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.