Blinking Monitor Issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Here is my ordeal: I am running a modified Dell OptiPlex 755 tower. I say modified because I have added and / or changed things in the tower from the way I received it. I have firewire 400, 800 cards. I have 8 gigs of ram. I added 2 LG brand dvd drives, I have changed the original power supply from 305 watts to 550 watts to handle all the new electrical demands. I had a dual DVI video card that I installed about a year ago. About a month ago, one of my 23 inch monitors, the one without the desktop on it, began doing an occasional blink on / off. It has now progressed to down right ridiculous. I believe in trying to solve the problem myself first. I went into the bios to make sure the onboard video was disabled. I also updated the bios. Thinking it might be the video card, I purchased a new one. I uninstalled the old video drivers fro the previous card just in case. I updated all my drivers. I switched monitors, and connections. I put new cables. I checked all internal connections for lose wires and such. I went into device manager, no issues found. I changed the refresh rate on the monitor. Thinking it was the monitor, I flipped the desktop to that monitor (right side) and the other one (left side) started blinking. I am at my wits end. Can anyone think of something I HAVEN"T tried or checked?
Dual Monitor Blinking Issue! - YouTube

Manny

CapStar362

take a high power ( tactical ) flashlight and hold it near the screen, do you still see the image ? if yes, then your monitors LCD backlights are going out.

if no, then the Power Supply of the monitor is on the fritz

Taking a wild guess, since by the things you've already tried, it seems as though it keeps happening despite changing components... have you checked you power? Perhaps the surge protector, etc. Is shorting out or can't handle everything plugged into it?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Go into your video card settings, and set the scan frequency properly. If you don't know what it is, start at 60Hz, then work your way up to the highest one that still works properly.

CapStar362

Taking a wild guess, since by the things you've already tried, it seems as though it keeps happening despite changing components... have you checked you power? Perhaps the surge protector, etc. Is shorting out or can't handle everything plugged into it?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

but that wont explain why the first monitor works just fine.....

Go into your video card settings, and set the scan frequency properly. If you don't know what it is, start at 60Hz, then work your way up to the highest one that still works properly.

most LCD monitors of modern build will not do that, they will display a Message usually stating "Out Of Range" or "Not Supported"

N1SQB

take a high power ( tactical ) flashlight and hold it near the screen, do you still see the image ? if yes, then your monitors LCD backlights are going out.
if no, then the Power Supply of the monitor is on the fritz

I doubt that this is the problem and here is why. I went to the display settings and made the monitor with the issue, the primary one. It stopped blinking and the other monitor began to blink! I also physically switched monitors and power supplies without success.

Sent from my cm tenderloin

On the surge protector there are only 3 things, the 2 monitors and the tower. I will look into it. Thanks!

Went through all the settings, problem still exists! Thank you though!

Go to the Dell Diagnostics and run a full scan and see if you can pinpoint anything. Product Support for OptiPlex 755 | Dell UK

Hey, thanks for the link poltergeist! I'll give it a shot!

Guys, I can't thank you all enough! I am very comfortable with pretty much anything having to do with computers. However, this little problem is a new one for me! I will try all these things today and promise to update this post.

Manny

Last edited:

wtp

broken?

my step son bought a used monitor only to have it blink out
it even happen when not connected to anything so try it without anything and see.

N1SQB

I finally just took it off line. Nothing seems to work. The Dell diagnostics came up empty. I am packing for a camping trip this weekend. I'll let it rest for now and pick it up later.

Manny

CapStar362

I doubt that this is the problem and here is why. I went to the display settings and made the monitor with the issue, the primary one. It stopped blinking and the other monitor began to blink! I also physically switched monitors and power supplies without success.

then its the driver or the card itself. we have eliminated everything but the software driver and/or the video card itself

EDIT: just read your first post, card was switched....... only leaves the drivers

N1SQB

then its the driver or the card itself. we have eliminated everything but the software driver and/or the video card itself

EDIT: just read your first post, card was switched....... only leaves the drivers

I am camping with the family this weekend, I will look into this further next week. I updated the driver, but who knows, maybe I need to look into this area again!

Manny

CapStar362

when you get back, run a Driver Cleaner.... even the name brand uninstaller will leave stuff behind, use a 3rd party driver remover like : Driver Sweeper

clean out the video drivers and run a full clean install of the drivers for your brand of card

Status
Not open for further replies.