Blinking Tone/Code while monitoring Full Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake68111

I just installed a outdoor antenna on my roof and am picking up waaay more than I bargained for, which is good. I have noticed something.

On some of the freqs that I get hits on, while scanning the "Full Database", the Tone/Code and following numbers sometimes blink.

Does this indicate that what I'm hearing is NOT what is programmed in the database for my area?

What is my scanner telling me?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just installed a outdoor antenna on my roof and am picking up waaay more than I bargained for, which is good. I have noticed something.

On some of the freqs that I get hits on, while scanning the "Full Database", the Tone/Code and following numbers sometimes blink.

Does this indicate that what I'm hearing is NOT what is programmed in the database for my area?

What is my scanner telling me?

According to the owner's manual, the blinking tone/code indicates that there was no entry in the programming for the tone/code for what the scanner has stopped on, and the scanner has now identified the tone/code for the transmission it has stopped on.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So if its blinking, the tone/code DOESN'T match what the scanner says the freq belongs to?

It means that the frequency the scanner has stopped on doesn't have a tone/code assigned to it in the programming (the tone/code column is set to "search" instead of a defined value). If there are several agencies near you that use that same frequency, you may be hearing any one of them. The flashing tone/code indicates the tone/code that has been detected for the agency that you are listening to at that moment.

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
It mean there is no tone/code set for that frequency in the scanner, and the tone/code setting is set to "Search".

To answer your question if it indicate that what you are hearing is not what is programmed in the database for your area, the answer is...it depend. You are presently picking up all communication on that specific frequency, using all the possible tones. So, if that conventional frequency is used by different organizations in your area, with a different tone/code for each organization, you will pick up all of them. The blinking tone/code will be different depending of what organization is talking.

You can store the tone/code found (blinking) by pressing the E/yes button when receiving that frequency in scan mode.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You can store the tone/code found (blinking) by pressing the E/yes button when receiving that frequency in scan mode.

That only applies when scanning from a favorites list. The OP stated he is scanning the full database.

A submission to the RR database with the correct info would be the procedure to get the proper tone/code for that agency listed in the Master Database.

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
That only applies when scanning from a favorites list. The OP stated he is scanning the full database.

A submission to the RR database with the correct info would be the procedure to get the proper tone/code for that agency listed in the Master Database.

ooops... you are right. Thanks for the correction. :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Before making such a submission, ensure that the scanner is really receiving the agency you think it is receiving. When no tone is set for an agency, if any other agencies are operating with tone on the frequency, the scanner will stop on the channel (it has no way to know the difference between agencies when no tone is set). It could be stopping on Channel A (programmed channel w/no tone) but actually receiving Agency X (some other agency that uses that frequency and uses a tone).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here's a "real life" example. Hardin County Kentucky is about 50 miles away from Clark County Indiana. Both use 154.4300 as their fire dispatching frequency. Clark County uses a PL tone, Hardin County does not. Because I'm right between them, I hear both.

If Clark County transmits, the scanner may stop on the frequency labeled as Hardin County and "flash" 110.9 as a newly discovered PL Tone. Should I enter that PL tone for Hardin County, then I will no longer hear Hardin County. (That's because they don't use a PL tone on their frequency).

If I submit that PL tone to the database as being used by Hardin County, then others using the database won't hear Hardin County as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.