• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Block(Blok) Behavior in V1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that the new Block function doesn't behave like I expect. I use my G4/G5s primarily as scanners to monitor a very large trunked system. I've always used the priority talk group lists to help float the more interesting stuff to the top.

The new block function is great for temporarily locking out talk groups when things get a little uninteresting or when I'm monitoring that talk group on another device. Last night, a storm rolled through and it got really busy. As I blocked some talk groups(since I was monitoring them on other radios), I noticed that some of the blocked talk groups were still popping up, even though they had been "successfully blocked" when I hit the "blok" menu.

I believe what is happening is that blocked talk groups are blocked from the normal scan routine. However, if the radio is monitoring a lower priority talk group, it goes to check higher priority talk groups, and is ignoring the blocked status of higher priority talk groups, and allowing them through.

That's my current working theory on why some stuff seems to not be staying blocked. If I'm correct, I would prefer the block status be checked and used to block the talk groups, even if it's a priority talk group.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I’m using Trunking talkgroup scan with identified talkgroups and a wildcard talkgroup and BLOK working fine using that configuration.

JASII

Memory Capacity
...Has anyone else noticed this?

How many talkgroups are blocked?

The reason I ask is because I think there is a maximum 64 blocks. What I don't know, however, is what happens when you attempt to use more blocks.

Does it display that a maximum of 64 blocks are used and no more are available?

Or, does it "overwrite" the first block used with the new block?

I reached out to Unication with that very question and they said they weren't certain. I think it unblocks the first blocked talkgroup and simply blocks the new one, but I am still waiting to rad from others how it behaved for them.

The whole Priority Talk Group List Vs. Non-Priority Talk Group List is a whole separate issue. One that I haven't focused enough attention on. I gather that the total maximum number of talkgroups is 64 regardless of whether they are in the Priority Talk Group List Vs. Non-Priority Talk Group List. Could it be possible that block is effective in Non-Priority Talk Group List, but non in the Priority Talk Group List? Now thinking back to me using Motorola transceivers in the past, it was certainly possible to lockout a channel on a conventional scan list or talkgroups from trunked talkgroup scan list, but select it as a priority and now hear it. If that is what is happening on the Unication G4/G5, it totally makes sense to me.
(It won't to everybody, but it does to me.)

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
As best as I can tell so far, this only appears to be an issue with priority talk group list scanning.
I've witnessed the issue with the number of blocked talk groups as few as 1. I don't think the number of blocked talk groups is the issue, and I don't know the answer to what the limit is.
It appears the block works until there's activity (SIMULTANEOUSLY) on a lower priority talk group as a higher priority talk group that was blocked . Otherwise, the blocked talk groups seem to remain blocked.
I recorded a bit of video last night while it was real busy to help troubleshoot.
Sloppy Youtube video demonstrating what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

CFP387

From your video, it appears that every talk group you are trying to avoid is set to record.

It may be that the pager will not block a talk group when it is set to record voice.

JASII

Memory Capacity
...I've always used the priority talk group lists to help float the more interesting stuff to the top...

So, how many Talkgroups total and what is the breakdown? For example, is it 64 Talkgroups total, with 63 non-priority and 1 priority Talkgroup?

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that the new Block function doesn't behave like I expect. I use my G4/G5s primarily as scanners to monitor a very large trunked system. I've always used the priority talk group lists to help float the more interesting stuff to the top.

The new block function is great for temporarily locking out talk groups when things get a little uninteresting or when I'm monitoring that talk group on another device. Last night, a storm rolled through and it got really busy. As I blocked some talk groups(since I was monitoring them on other radios), I noticed that some of the blocked talk groups were still popping up, even though they had been "successfully blocked" when I hit the "blok" menu.

I believe what is happening is that blocked talk groups are blocked from the normal scan routine. However, if the radio is monitoring a lower priority talk group, it goes to check higher priority talk groups, and is ignoring the blocked status of higher priority talk groups, and allowing them through.

That's my current working theory on why some stuff seems to not be staying blocked. If I'm correct, I would prefer the block status be checked and used to block the talk groups, even if it's a priority talk group.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I have noticed some strange behavior related to the Block function also but for me was the opposite, the TGs I would block, they'd stay blocked indefinitely and couldn't find a way to unlocked them no matter what I did, which included erasing a whole zone and redoing it and the weird behavior would come back. The issue stopped happening when I stopped using the Priority function.

Status
Not open for further replies.