Block EMS Tone and save my marriage and my hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankieD210

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a Uniden 396XT and love it. I used RR and Freescan to program it for the LCRA P25 for Live Oak, Schertz, Selma, and Cibolo. My wife and daughter have put up with my scanner hobby, they like listening as much as i do but don't' admit it but, that is all about to change. Every time Schertz dispatches EMS, the tone out is super loud, and the wife nearly looses it. If I set the volume to accommodate the tones, the voice traffic is so low and I can't make out what they are saying.
After some searching, I changed the TG for Schertz EMS to Digital only hoping the tone out was analog but we are still getting blasted by the tones.
Is there an easy way to block the tones but not voice? Any help before I just lock out that TG?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you can block out the tones and listen to the voice only. Only way to block out the tones is if you put it on Fire Tone Out with tones A & B if 2 tone paging. The 396xt has a tone search you are able to write it down and put them in.

echo676

Tones

It's been awhile......but in the programming.........can't you lock the tones / data signal out ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It's been awhile......but in the programming.........can't you lock the tones / data signal out ?
No, not if what he's referring to is a talkgroup on this. It's a trunked system. So tone/code lockout would not apply. Based on the OP's comments, I believe he is referring to the talkgroup, so no way to restrict it other than lock it out completely.

FrankieD210, what you might try is adjusting the audio on just that one talkgroup. With the 396XT, you can change that on an individual frequency or talkgroup without changing the volume setting for everything else on your scanner. The setting you're looking for is called "Volume Offset", and be a positive (louder) or negative (softer) number. In FreeSCAN, it's labeled as 'Vol Adj".

FrankieD210

Premium Subscriber
No, not if what he's referring to is a talkgroup on this. It's a trunked system. So tone/code lockout would not apply. Based on the OP's comments, I believe he is referring to the talkgroup, so no way to restrict it other than lock it out completely.

FrankieD210, what you might try is adjusting the audio on just that one talkgroup. With the 396XT, you can change that on an individual frequency or talkgroup without changing the volume setting for everything else on your scanner. The setting you're looking for is called "Volume Offset", and be a positive (louder) or negative (softer) number. In FreeSCAN, it's labeled as 'Vol Adj".

Thanks Steve. I think that's what I'll do. I guess I will still probably somewhat miss the voice on that TG if the volume is set low enough. Better then missing all the audio or worse yet, listening to my wife screaming at me too "turn that down"

frazpo

Frankie, your wife needs to come to the realization that you are a scanner nut now and other than Valentines day (after dark), her birthday, and Christmas morning, she needs to take the noise.
:)

FrankieD210

Premium Subscriber
Frankie, your wife needs to come to the realization that you are a scanner nut now and other than Valentines day (after dark), her birthday, and Christmas morning, she needs to take the noise.
:)

Lucky for me, she enjoys listening as much as I do. She is just more sensitive to the sudden burst of loud squealing when they send out the tones. Other then the tones being unacceptably loud, she puts up with me taking the scanner everywhere with us and listens to it instead of the radio in the truck. I consider myself lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.