Blocked from Yaesu Fusion?

nathaneharvey

I had an HT that I would use to listen in and practice navigating the only Fusion repeater near my house. Now, I have a newer radio and was able to connect to the same repeater for the first time in forever, but still can't connect on my old HT. I was using the old HT while studying to get certified, and put in my GMRS call sign since I didn't have an amateur radio one yet. Is it possible / do you think the repeater owner blocked my old radio for not having a proper callsign? (I never transmitted)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I had an HT that I would use to listen in and practice navigating the only Fusion repeater near my house. Now, I have a newer radio and was able to connect to the same repeater for the first time in forever, but still can't connect on my old HT. I was using the old HT while studying to get certified, and put in my GMRS call sign since I didn't have an amateur radio one yet. Is it possible / do you think the repeater owner blocked my old radio for not having a proper callsign? (I never transmitted)

What is meant by "practice navigating"?

What do you mean when you say "connect to the same repeater"?

What are you putting your GMRS call into?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you pressed the X key (1684194123048.png) on your Yaesu System Fusion radio, then your radio transmitted using whatever callsign you had programmed into the radio. The radio does this automatically without you pressing the PTT button on the radio. That's how a WIRES-X repeater knows that you are requesting a connection.

Your GMRS callsign is not valid on amateur radio. If you transmit on amateur radio frequencies, then you are required to have an amateur radio license.

I don't know if the WIRES-X system automatically blocks non-amateur radio callsigns. If it doesn't, then maybe the sysop or trustee of the repeater saw that an unlicensed person was trying to use the repeater and manually blocked the callsign you were sending.

You should probably wait until you have an amateur radio license before "practice navigating" on an amateur radio repeater.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A Yaesu Fusion repeater owner can block a particular radio ID and that is probably what happened. Even if you enter a valid callsign later into that radio it will not connect to that repeater unless the trustee/controller allows it, which probably will not happen based on the obvious unlicensed activity of connecting to it (transmitting) and steering/navigating it (transmitting again).

Depending on what radios the OP has now, they may be able to connect to the Yaesu Fusion network directly using a computer and appropriate cable. A review of the WiresX website has the details.

I have a list of valid amateurs being foolish on my repeaters that I blocked. A GMRS user/callsign would easily be added to that list. Well, I blocked their unique radio ID and not their callsign.

riflemin

I got a used FT1D many years ago and had a few Fusion QSOs using it but I mostly listened to a local "backyard" YSF repeater. Then I noticed that the HT wasn't decoding any digital signals from the repeater. I thought maybe the repeater switched to another digital mode. I talked to the repeater owner, but he said that problem had to be my radio. I kinda gave up until I bought a Yaesu FTM-100 at a hamfest. The FTM-100 worked fine with the repeater. Then I found that the FTM-100 could decode transmissions from the FT-1D but the FT-1D was not decoding the FTM-100 (in any YSF mode). I suspect there is a software update that my FT-1D needs. The OP may have the same issue.

nathaneharvey

I deleted the stored memory, and manually re-entered the offset, tone, etc and was able to connect! My first thought was that the owner had changed something, but I'm almost positive that's not the case. No clue. Maybe he saw my post and unblocked me?!
Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize that so many people consider connecting to those Wires-X repeater as broadcasting! Guess It's time to study instead of playing around.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If your transceiver emits RF, you are no different than the folks with unauthorized trunking radios affiliating on a system. It's fine (and encouraged) to listen, but as mentioned, pressing the Wires-X key sends a REGISTRATION to the repeater/system, and using fake credentials is not only rude, it's considered an unauthorized transmission.

Remember too, that repeaters, reflectors, et al are someone else' property. While they may ALLOW others to use them, there is no obligation to make it available and like anything else, they have the right to not allow one or all to use their stuff.

Do listen. It is encouraged. Just make sure you aren't transmitting, until you pass your test.

dickie757

Wired
Can you explain what half duplex is? I went to signal generator and typed 400mhz and turned it on, turned on my physical spectrum analyzer and it didn't show anything. If I attach the cable it does.

I deleted the stored memory, and manually re-entered the offset, tone, etc and was able to connect! My first thought was that the owner had changed something, but I'm almost positive that's not the case. No clue. Maybe he saw my post and unblocked me?!
Thanks for the insight! I didn't realize that so many people consider connecting to those Wires-X repeater as broadcasting! Guess It's time to study instead of playing around.
What did you connect to?

hp8920

I’ve noticed the FT-70D has some weirdness with modes and AMS being randomly changed in memory channels. It may have decided to scramble the settings.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This whole thread seems to have some misconceptions about System Fusion. First, assuming the repeater is set in the auto mode it will repeat either digital or analog. If your radio is in digital mode it will repeat digital. In the analog mode likewise. Second, Wires-X will allow you to connect to other rooms or nodes in the system. However, the owner must set that up by having the necessary interface. In my case that is an FTM-400 radio, an HRI-200 interface and a computer running Wires-X. You would press the X key on your radio and then enter the five digit code of the room or node you want to connect with. All of this assumes the owner has necessary interface and allows such connections. Not every Fusion repeater does.

There have been firmware updates that are required to use System Fusion and Wires-X. Example I have an FT-2 which I kept up to date but a friend did not. He could use the repeater locally but not System Fusion. I updated his firmware and all was well again.

The first thing you need to do is get your ham license. A Technician license is 35 questions. It isn't rocket science. You can do it. Some areas even have license in a day classes. By the way, if you programmed your GMRS call into the radio you're advertising to everyone that you are operating illegally.

I hope that you will get your license soon. Good luck!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I’ve noticed the FT-70D has some weirdness with modes and AMS being randomly changed in memory channels. It may have decided to scramble the settings.
The operating mode is not stored in the memory. It must be manually selected. AMS will automatically use the mode being received. It will not change memory programming.

hp8920

The operating mode is not stored in the memory. It must be manually selected. AMS will automatically use the mode being received. It will not change memory programming.
No, the operating mode (FM/DN/VW) is part of the memory entry as well as AMS on/off. See the options in ADMS.

It should not change the settings permanently unless you overwrite the memory, however as I said, I've experienced memory changing itself to incorrect settings.

First, assuming the repeater is set in the auto mode it will repeat either digital or analog. If your radio is in digital mode it will repeat digital. In the analog mode likewise.
There's no single "auto" mode. There's separate auto in RX and TX. You're describing auto RX and auto TX.

You can set Auto RX and FM TX, then digital inputs will result in analog outputs. This requires AMS to be on all user radios.