Blonde moments in scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have had my first major blonde moment in scanning yesterday and this morning.

Normally I listen to my scanner while I am driving to and from work each day, yesterday on my way to work I noticed it was a bit quite with not much traffic on the air and some of the signals were a bit weak, I also noticed the same driving home where I was not hearing very much traffic.
This morning I was listening at home before I left for work and the airwaves were fairly busy, get in the car and everything goes quite again. I arrived at work and opened my boot to find my aerial sitting in the boot... it seems I took it off the car the other day when it was in getting serviced and I forgot to put it back on :(

Does anybody else have any silly stories like this to share.

Paul

jimvm

Blonde moment

I recently spent an hour checking my antenna and coax because I
was not receiving any signals om my AOR 8600. Turns out I plugged
the antenna coax into the IF output BNC connector instead of the
antenna connector!

jimvm

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I sometimes will be locked down on the Police dispatch channel and can't understand why "Finding Control Channel" is flashing on the screen, only to realize I'm on the wrong county's TRS!

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

What I hate is when I'll get interested in a specific person getting cleared, so I'll hold on the clearence channel.

Then after an hour of saying "I can't believe how quite it is tonight, I'm only hearing people being cleared." I then realize that I've been holding on clearence for an hour. Lol

smason

I was doing a close call scan when I heard what sounded like a couple making out.
I was trying to figure out where it was coming from, when suddenly it sounded like a TV commercial.

Turns out someone had left the upstairs TV on and I was listening to the wireless headphone transmitter. Duh!

raisindot

I was doing a close call scan when I heard what sounded like a couple making out.
I was trying to figure out where it was coming from, when suddenly it sounded like a TV commercial.

Turns out someone had left the upstairs TV on and I was listening to the wireless headphone transmitter. Duh!

Same thing happened to me, only I kept on hearing what sounded like endless gunfire among foreign-speaking gangbangers. Thought a mammoth shootout was going on until I discovered it was my son was playing Call of Duty on the PS3 and listening through 49Mhz wireless headphones.

Jeff in Boston

N2JDS

Mine happens when I get in a back up ambulance, which in years back, we had battery cut offs, but now we don't, I'd get in when coming back from ER and wonder why radio traffic is so quiet, then realize I forgot to turn batts. on. Luckily we always have our AVL/CAD computer which flashes red if we are getting a call, so never fully out of comms.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
I've been scanning for 13 years..

A couple months ago I was programming a PRO-164 I had won on an auction. I tried everything. Both serial ports, with and without the pigtail on the RS adapter, unplugged and plugged back in a dozen times.

Then I realized the problem: I was plugging into the headphone port like my older PRO radios use and not the PC/IF port on the side for programming.

I almost decided to stop scanning I felt so dumb. No... not really.. but it makes the story a little less painful to tell.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Don't Remember

I have had my first major blonde moment in scanning yesterday and this morning.

Normally I listen to my scanner while I am driving to and from work each day, yesterday on my way to work I noticed it was a bit quite with not much traffic on the air and some of the signals were a bit weak, I also noticed the same driving home where I was not hearing very much traffic.
This morning I was listening at home before I left for work and the airwaves were fairly busy, get in the car and everything goes quite again. I arrived at work and opened my boot to find my aerial sitting in the boot... it seems I took it off the car the other day when it was in getting serviced and I forgot to put it back on :(

Does anybody else have any silly stories like this to share.

Paul

If I don't remember it, it didn't happen! lol

KC9LVX

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Reaching for the wrong dial, refering to your blinkers as strobes and then trying to request taxi to the gate after leaving the off-ramp!

They need an alert like *****ing Betty for scanners. "Don't think, don't think!" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.