Bloomington hospital use of GMRS 462.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickles37

For quite some time I've been picking up what sounds like a hospital shuttle bus service operating a repeater on GMRS channel 21 - 462.7/467.7 (PL 156.7). Searches of the FCC ULS don't appear to bring back any current grandfathered ZA licences for Bloomington, nor licenses for this specific frequency. The nearest I can find is a ZA one which expired in 2010:

KAB4523 LOCAL COUNCIL OF WOMEN IND BLOOMINGTON HOSPITAL 0006897094 ZA Expired 04/17/2010

Does anyone know it this is in fact still used by Bloomington Hospital? If so, it appears they don't have a current license

Thanks

David

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's possible that the operators of the shuttle bus service are renting radios from a radio shop. That shop may be operating the repeater and programmed the radios to use the repeater. The shop may have a grandfathered business license in the GMRS service. Or they may be assuming that proper licensing is not required.

I have run into this before with radio shops and GMRS frequencies. A shop in Indianapolis was providing radios to a not-for-profit organization with which I was participating. When I found out these radios were on GMRS frequencies, I questioned the legality of the operation and was told "don't worry about it".

pickles37

Well, I think I've confirmed this is Bloomington Hospital - they were listed as using this frequency on the grandfathered GMRS license page at Grandfathered GMRS Entities by Zip Code . They definitely *used* to have a grandfathered license directly (not through a radio shop), and there are no other entities in Bloomington with grandfathered licenses, so I suspect that it has just expired and no-one has renewed it. I don't think they would be able to renew it now.

From the traffic it sounds like coordination of shuttle busses for patients although I can't be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.