Bloomington, IN: DMR/NXDN

kevin.r

Premium Subscriber
I am now in a position to help fill in the gaps in the RR database for DMR and NXDN systems in Bloomington, Indiana (Monroe Co). Background: I do a lot of public safety P25 listening on SAFE-T, and listened to analog FM before that. I scan the KBMG control tower and occasionally milair too. But none of that is DMR/NXDN, and I want to start logging those systems soon.

I have basic knowledge of DMR but have not played with NXDN yet. I have a Uniden 536HP and a 436HP, both with the appropriate digital add-ons. I also have a few SDRs and the necessary software.

I pick up a lot of DMR systems when scanning UHF. My question is what should I focus on gathering data from first? Are there systems in the Bloomington area that folks are particularly interested in that I should start with? Or should I just submit things randomly as I find them?

Thanks!

cubn

Database Admin
I would say for us on whatever interests you the most. For me it is hospitals, malls, sports stadiums, school district systems, universities, museums and especially special events.

I'm really glad to find someone else passionate about updating the database for DMR entries in Bloomington, Indiana. I always do logging whenever I am visiting town but can only do so much those weekday evenings I visit.

I'm very interested if these systems are linked together.

I'm also interested if you can determine any more site info CCs LCNs TGs for the Catalent and Cook Medical systems.

Also I have never been able to log TGs or LCNs for this system.

With football season coming up, I bet you can get some new TGs monitored on the Athletics system

kevin.r

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply!

To be prefectly honest I have yet to find anything on DMR that I find nearly as interesting as the stuff on SAFE-T. But I have the capabilty to receive it, so I will attempt to dig deeper into some of these systems.

My next system to focus on will be Ivy Tech Bloomington. I know they used to be on a UHF analog TRS run by one of the radio dealers in town. Might have been ECS? But I believe they now have their own DMR system/repeater on campus. There is a UHF antenna on the roof of the building, and every time I drive by I get close call hits. Sadly the scanner in my car does not have DMR capability. I will take my 436HP there with headphones in the near future.

As for the IU systems, I get a pay check from IU now, and even though my part-time job has nothing to do with their DMR systems I think they might frown upon me submitting data from those.

I should be able to get some info to submit from the Catlent and Cook Medical systems.

cubn

Database Admin
I'm also curious about Ivy Tech...I have never heard voice traffic on their frequency but I assume it would be DMR

Sometimes during home football and basketball games I listen in to SAFE-T online:

Also it's nice if you aren't listening to the scanner when an incident occurs you can go back and listen to the archives.

west-pac

When I scan the bands looking for new data, I do just that: scan the bands looking at every signal to see who, what, where and then cross-reference the received data with the RRDB data, and submit any undocumented data as needed.

It's really nice when you catch a band-opening and you can start sending submissions for WISCOM, STARCOM, MOSWIN, etc..

Speaking of band-openings, Monday morning around 05:30, I was receiving a MPSCS site around Berrien county, on a handheld scanner, inside my vehicle, south of Fort Wayne.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
All Ivy Tech uses DMR, some are conventional ip site connected, and connected to the Cap+ sites for other campuses. Some are only site connected to others in regional areas. All those IU systems should at least have one or two patches going on. Here in Indy, the IU hospital system does have a patch for a couple of the TG's to the IUIndy TRS. Though usually the maintenance folks just switch zones in the XPR's (7500e series and a few 3500e series) to the ones they need for use at the time. They have the same codeplugs as far as I know with IUIndy as zones 1 thru I believe 10, and multiple zones for each hospital etc. Of course, all IUPD are pure P25 on SAFE-T, and here on MESA S1.

Last edited:

Tomcu96

you can use to listen to the Bloomington buses and the different places like the some of the old radio scanner frequencies like the campus rec center use the dmr radio and the ers radios to