Bloomington PD Channel Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into why Bloomington PD uses their Channel 3 for dispatch, and Channel 1 for backup. That just seems kind of weird to me, especially since I've seen resources that were updated fairly recently that list Channel 1 as the dispatch channel, and the DB lists it as "former dispatch". Just wondering why the change was made. Thanks!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into why Bloomington PD uses their Channel 3 for dispatch, and Channel 1 for backup. That just seems kind of weird to me, especially since I've seen resources that were updated fairly recently that list Channel 1 as the dispatch channel, and the DB lists it as "former dispatch". Just wondering why the change was made. Thanks!

This is because they've been having repeated problems with their repeaters, causing them to switch off at times. They will be switching to starcom21 in the spring. Ch.1 used to be the primary dispatch. :)
n9zas

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
This is because they've been having repeated problems with their repeaters, causing them to switch off at times. They will be switching to starcom21 in the spring. Ch.1 used to be the primary dispatch. :)
n9zas

It's happening in the spring? I knew it got voted on but I hadn't heard when it was supposed to happen. Personally, I'm surprised it took this long for them to switch over, and it's only a matter of time until the Bloomington and Metcom FDs moves there too.

gewecke

Banned
It's happening in the spring? I knew it got voted on but I hadn't heard when it was supposed to happen. Personally, I'm surprised it took this long for them to switch over, and it's only a matter of time until the Bloomington and Metcom FDs moves there too.

Metcom will be staying on vhf. The smaller departments do not have the funding or the need for starcom. They have the MABAS channels.
n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Just noticed that myself, nothing on Starcom either. Interesting...

BPD will have a lot of work to do before a transition to SC21 is complete. mobiles,portables and antennas will have to be changed out THEN comes the task of training these boneheads how to use the system and its functions.

They currently have a uhf and a vhf radio in most of the cars/ suv's
But keep listening! ;)

n9zas

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
BPD will have a lot of work to do before a transition to SC21 is complete. mobiles,portables and antennas will have to be changed out THEN comes the task of training these boneheads how to use the system and its functions.

They currently have a uhf and a vhf radio in most of the cars/ suv's
But keep listening! ;)

n9zas

Any idea when they're planning on starting the installation process? If it's supposed to be up and running in April or May you'd think they'd need to start sometime fairly soon. Also it'll be interesting to see how many talkgroups they get, I'd imagine at least 3, unless they're planning on leaving car to car on VHF simplex.

gewecke

Banned
Re; BPD

I imagine they'll no longer need the simplex car to car channel with various tg's but then who knows?
I agree,they should start testing sometime soon.

n9zas

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I imagine they'll no longer need the simplex car to car channel with various tg's but then who knows?
I agree,they should start testing sometime soon.

n9zas

I'm surprised that VHF channel is even still used, the signal is barely strong enough to break my squelch a lot of times, and I'm up high in a dorm, where in theory it would come in better. I'd be very surprised if they don't replace that with a talkgroup.

cubn

Database Admin
I have no inside information but I would guess the VHF radios will stay (for ISPERN and IREACH) and the UHF ones will be removed and replaced with Starcom radios. That's what the Champaign County agencies did when they switched from UHF to 800.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if any new talkgroups have shown up yet? According to the article, they should be starting training now/soon, so something should be going on soon, you would think either a tech from BPD or Motorola would be testing the radios before they started using them for training. My guess is they're going to use the old patch to channel 3 talkgroup 30378 for dispatch, it makes sense since that's what it's use has been before. Although I've also been wrong before (couple times, lol), so who knows.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
BPD is back as normal on channel 3 tonight, Starcom patch up again. Happened sometime around 5 tonight, switched back from channel 1. Been a busy night for Bloomington, actually heard BPD channel 2 used a lot tonight, 3 was being held.

gewecke

Banned
BPD is back as normal on channel 3 tonight, Starcom patch up again. Happened sometime around 5 tonight, switched back from channel 1. Been a busy night for Bloomington, actually heard BPD channel 2 used a lot tonight, 3 was being held.

They have been switching when the other repeater has feedback issues. (sounds like the soundtrack from the matrix)
This will probably get worse in time.

n9zas

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
They have been switching when the other repeater has feedback issues. (sounds like the soundtrack from the matrix)
This will probably get worse in time.

n9zas

Ohhhhh wonderful...you would think this would give them a little more incentive to hurry up the switch..but it's still the government, so it'll be the same old "hurry up and wait" method

gewecke

Banned
Re; BPD

Personally, I prefer that they stay on analog as long as possible. Currently they do not use encryption and switching to SC21 will give them that option! :(
Have you thought about that???
Now do you STILL want them on SC21 ??

n9zas

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I prefer that they stay on analog as long as possible. Currently they do not use encryption and switching to SC21 will give them that option! :(
Have you thought about that???
Now do you STILL want them on SC21 ??

n9zas

I've never wanted them to switch over. Personally I can't stand digital audio, it sounds so unnatural. I'm just saying, if I was them, issues like that would make me want to switch it quicker. And I doubt they'd put their dispatch encrypted, if anything they'd probably just do like Normal did and make just a couple of the detail channels encrypted. It'd be nice if they could just fix their current system and stay in the clear with FM audio. But I have a feeling the day is coming not too far away where every police agency in the state is on Starcom or a similar system, the way everything is going right now. So I guess my point is I'll enjoy hearing everything I can on FM for as long as I can, however long that is.

gewecke

Banned
Re; BPD

I think they have a NEW car to car ch.
I sent you a PM

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.