Blount/Marshall Co?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4DRF

As of this morning all of Marshall county is still analog. Last news report was P25 system was to be up by end of July (didn't happen). Sheriff's office buying console but will not install until renovation is done sometime next year around June/July. Have frequencies programed in under wildcard but so far no traffic heard. Only 2 miles from 911 tower so will be posting tg's as soon as I hear and confirm which agency is using them(as long as they are not encrypted).

KG4DRF

Arab and 911 have console installed. Guntersville has purchased theirs but haven't heard if it is installed yet. Same goes for county district shops and ema. No word of if Boaz will move to county airs or stay with Etowah system and unsure if Albertville has gotten their console yet. Same goes for radios for all the volunteer fire departments. Hopefully will be an update soon on when system will be up and running.

Dwhitt301

I do know that Marshall County 911 for volunteer departments will be in clear mode. We also we will have a talkgroup for each county district, for district specific operations and two countywide (North and South) talkgroups for larger operations. We are expected to get our radios this month.

Blount County has a patch to the AIRS but is still on VHF.

codeplug

Member, Disabled Veteran, US Army
Update for Marshall County AIRS Sites.
FCC has just Accepted Notification of Construction for All of the Marshall County Microwave Sites
that connect All of the Marshall County Trunked Sites. Date of 08/04/2021.
Not sure if that means they are about to go On the Air or not but it puts them a lot closer.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the Marshall County AIRS site is online. I am receiving a control channel from Cullman on 769.55625 reporting call sign WRKX345 with alternate control channel of 770.10625, site 3.1 NAC 460. Based on the way the frequencies are licensed, I'm guessing it's simulcast. No voice traffic yet. I'll get it submitted for inclusion in the database.

N4LX

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the Marshall County AIRS site is online. I am receiving a control channel from Cullman on 769.55625 reporting call sign WRKX345 with alternate control channel of 770.10625, site 3.1 NAC 460. Based on the way the frequencies are licensed, I'm guessing it's simulcast. No voice traffic yet. I'll get it submitted for inclusion in the database.
Correction: NAC 461.

scannerman200

Premium Subscriber
Any update on the new Marshall County or Blount County system? Also since Marshall county will be on a simulcast system which scanner would be better for that? The SDS series?

medic9351301

Banned
depends on your location to be honnest .
i have a 996 p2 and a uniden 996 xt. and it works good . its not perfect reception but it works. after a few tricks and tweeking of ant and settings.
if your not smack in the middle of the sites. it might work. i am dead smack in the middle of jefferson county . thus i am less than 5 air miles from 5 of the 10 towers . another thing is how much you want to spend a sds will set u back around 750 with shipping . where a used 996 series might be like 250 to 300. i have heard that rf dongles will work also. i have set up a few sds series . they are good but kinda hard to program even using software . sds series are good for only one thing and thats simulcast systems. the vhf/ uhf analog are way below par in my mind. its not a god gift from heaven radio . there are times when the sds missed capturing tg that the 996 p2 /996 xt caught . i would avoid the 436/536 scanners there junk .as well as the home patrol series . if your going to spend them money to be on the safe side get one that will do phase 2 just in case they ever decide to upgrade from phase 1 to phase 2 .

just my 2 cents . put another 98 cents and buy a soda pop (lol)

medic

wwhitby

Feed Provider
So the SDS 100/200 is not good on vhf?

I don't own one, but I was involved in a discussion where guys who do own an SDS100 were saying that you really had to fiddle with the built in filters to get them working good on VHF.

Sadly, that seems to be the trend with newer scanners. That's why I only using my newer digital scanners for P-25 700/800 systems, and Kenwood commercial radios for VHF and UHF. My old PRO-96 (bought in 2004) runs circles around my digital scanners on VHF.

Last edited:

Dwhitt301

Any update on the new Marshall County or Blount County system? Also since Marshall county will be on a simulcast system which scanner would be better for that? The SDS series?

We (Marshall County) should be receiving radios in the next couple of weeks. I believe there are still some engineering tests that's going on right now.

Abmahaffey

Blount has their new p25 capable consoles installed at the 911 center, they are now working on cleaning up their tower grounding and a few other issues before they start installing the new p25 equ somet in the next few month, they are hoping to begin testing sometime near the end of march annd have the new system online and all agencies migrated over by September-October this year
there are also rumors of Cullman, Walker, and St Clair co joining in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.