Blue Angel Air Show Huntsville

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldranger

There was a bad thunderstorm in Huntsville today, there were several minor injuries and one fatality.They had to cancel the air show. My neice and nephew and their two kids had a pole fall right before their eyes!! We were at our family reunion down on Lay Lake and they had left early for the Huntsville Air Show. The whole time we were down at the lake we could see the planes practicing.

Last edited:

trace1

http://www.waaytv.com/global/story.asp?s=8575397

UPDATE: One dead, twelve injured at Air Show

HUNTSVILLE, AL- Airport officials have confirmed that one person, 5 year-old Aaron Miller of Athens is dead after a microsburst hit the Air Show this afternoon.

Witnesses say several VIP tents, including the City of Huntsville's tent, and the main announcer's stand were picked up off the ground and overturned.

Twelve additional injuries, including lacerations and fractures have also been confirmed.

Huntsville Hospital has not set-up a patient list of people brought there from the Air Show, however you may call 256-265-1000 and ask for anyone that was there that might be missing and they can tell you if they are at the hospital or not.

Storm Force 31's Keller Watts explains that due to the way radar works with it shooting over the storm due to the curvature of the earth the National weather service could not predict the microburst that caused this tragic accident.

WAAY 31's Erin Dacy and Ben Boles were at the show with their children and described the event as coming out of nowhere.

The storm ripped tents from anchors and tossed them around like toys. Boles was knocked to the ground as they tried to seek shelter from the storm.

Hey Mike, glad to hear that your family is safe. I had some friends, from our radio club, up there today too and heard about it from them.

Such a tragedy.

SAR923

My understanding is the boy was killed when a portable generator fell on him. I don't know how big the generator was or how it was mounted but it should remind all of us that we need to be really careful to secure heavy items, even when they will only be used on a temporary basis. My sympathy to the boy's family and friends. :(

LEH

Premium Subscriber
A lady I work with (I work from home) lives in the Huntsville area. She said about 10 miles from the airport. When I asked her how she fared during the storm, she didn't even know there had been one at the airport. Said her area was beautiful all day.

It is terrible on the injuries and the death, especially of one so young.

Trunkster2002

I was at the airshow Sunday when the storm approached. The B-25 had just taken off and two old by-planes had just finnished there routine when the airshow announcer said there was an approaching storm and they are going to suppend the airshow for a pasing shower for a few minutes. The Blue Angels ground crew was getting the planes ready for take-off. I was listening to them on my scanner.

The big rain drops started to fall, people started running into the big planes and under the wings of the big planes. The ARMY Virtual tent that was huge was picked up and thrown. The winds got very strong. I would estimate about 50 MPH. I was haveing to stand sideways in order to keep standing. The rain starting blowing sideways. Then the lightning started popping the field. Women and kids we're screaming. The rain was getting harder. Then it was over. I looked at the challets about 500 feet from me and they we're a mess. People was running everywhere. The first hint that something bad had happened, was the airport crash truck was coming towards the ARMY tent that was blowed away with lights and sirens. Then from accross the field I saw a HSV Fire Truck heading towards the airport with lights and sirens. then the Police cars and EMS was doing the same. At one point. The police went down an hill sideways spinning tires and ran over the plastic fencing right in front of the Blue Angels planes leaving the field wide open for people to run to and from the chalets. I have never seen so many POLICE,FIRE,EMS vehicles at one scene as I did that one. The airport authority was heading in every direction as well. I think they had a great plane and they did a perfect job. They are to be commended.

Just before the airshow was stopped, they did announce that next year they are bringing the AirForce Thunderbirds to Huntsville. I hope the death of the child does not affect this schedule. I hope they have a special ceremony for the little boy at next years event. I think that would be a nice move for the Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.