Blue Angel listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpayne174

Hey guys, brand new to the forums

Although I've had a scanner for a couple years I never really got fully "into" it. I have the PSR-800 and its fantastic.

Two quick questions; I'm going to Wisconsin next weekend to watch the Blue Angel airshow performance and it randomly popped into my head "Hey, I have a scanner. I wonder if I can listen to them as they fly". Is there anyway to do so?

Next, I'm going to put this into a scenario for you to understand better. With my scanner, I listen for accidents and other whatnots and works awesome. Is there anyway to program to listen to the transmissions between cops/fire/rescue at a scene? Say a car accident. I want to listen to what all the people on scene are discussing

Sorry if I sound dumb lol

Thanks!

KE5TLF

All BA freqs are already in the scanner/EZScan library and are 100% accurate. (given you've done a library update in the last 2-3 years anyway)

reconrider8

as for scenes yes and no if its a simplex and you are close enough and they arnt encrypted yes if any of those then no. im a vff myself and we have a repeater setup for out tac channel that we use so if we were on ch. 3 then you could prob hear us but alot of times we run ch. 2 which is the simplex to the co repeater so you woul dneed to be within a couple miles to hear.

tpayne174

as for scenes yes and no if its a simplex and you are close enough and they arnt encrypted yes if any of those then no. im a vff myself and we have a repeater setup for out tac channel that we use so if we were on ch. 3 then you could prob hear us but alot of times we run ch. 2 which is the simplex to the co repeater so you woul dneed to be within a couple miles to hear.

See, thats no problem at all. Because the main reason why I want to be able to listen is because I "chase" accidents to an extent. If I see cops or something go by I usually go up close and watch for a while. So I'd be within a hundred feet if not way closer.

Could you give me an easy step by step on how to do that because I have close to no knowledge when it comes to scanner "talk" and terms. But hey! I'm wanting to learn really bad!

kb8rvp

See, thats no problem at all. Because the main reason why I want to be able to listen is because I "chase" accidents to an extent. If I see cops or something go by I usually go up close and watch for a while. So I'd be within a hundred feet if not way closer.

Could you give me an easy step by step on how to do that because I have close to no knowledge when it comes to scanner "talk" and terms. But hey! I'm wanting to learn really bad!

Well glad you like your PSR-800, I have one and love it too... Depending on the type of system your local Police, Fire and EMS are on they may not change from their main talk groups or frequencies. In my area some counties have TAC channels or talk groups that can be patched or used for multi agencies while others just ask the dispatcher to relay information to fire or police etc. so they don't always talk to each other when they get on location it just depends. If you listen you may hear them say we need a mutual aid frequency/talk group or request a patch then you would make sure you have that programmed in otherwise you would just listen to the main channel.

As for "chasing" accidents I would be very careful. If police or fire personal start to notice you showing up at accidents they may look into why and check to see if you have a scanner and it could go bad for you. Just a word to the wise it is best just to listen and if you every so often happen to come across an accident it's no big deal. I don't know the scanner laws in your state.

Good luck with the Blue Angels.

Mike

kh11

Premium Subscriber
Listening to the Blues as they perform is awesome. My office used to have a view out towards the approach path at the local NAS. I would bring in my desktop scanner and set it up next to the windows when they were in town. We got to watch their practice runs with full audio. "Smoke On! Up we go!".

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It's actually not off topic. If you check the OP's original post, you'll see he asked two questions.

tpayne174

Let me clarify here... I dont CHASE accidents. Its not like I purposely listen for them and go to every single one. Its one of those things that if I'm out biking around and see something I'll stop and watch for a bit. Or if something happens around the neighborhood I'll peak my head out and see whats going on. I DO NOT chase them as I kind of stated above. Its maybe 2-3 times a month really.

tpayne174

UPDATE: everything went awesome when it comes to the BBlue Angels. Excpect one thing... I listened to Fat Albert no problem and it was super cool. BUT as soon as the Jets started rolling to the run way, my scanner decided to throw an sd card error... So I didn't get to listen to them at all which really upset me but other than that, it worked perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.