Blue Angels - My observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Good to know, my experience has only observed 305.9000 for 10
No, it’s 305.500 this year. Had been used as a spare for 305.900 years ago, but 305.500 has been noted at several shows this year. I can confirm they had 305.500 as Button 10 last week.

Token

i do not agree with - at least for the Blue Angels. T-birds -- don't know. I would find it odd that something that is unfit for military operations would be fit for (extreme) aerobatic flight, high G-loads, etc. would be placed into service with the demonstration team(s) from either the AF or Navy. Since only an insider would know what the exact problems experienced with the two aircraft during the show I was at - all we can do is guess.

There is unfit and there is unfit. It is not unusual for older aircraft to be mechanically fine but not up to date on the latest software loads or upgrades. You may not want to take the aircraft that is not most current into combat, but there is nothing unsafe about flying it in training or exhibition.

The F-18 (and pretty much all current aircraft) undergoes constant upgrades after delivery. The software is regularly updated, and hardware somewhat less frequently. Some software loads apply only to certain hardware configured aircraft. Unless there are safety of flight issues addressed in a software load, if it is primarily capabilities oriented, it would not surprise me if the BA birds did not get such loads, or hardware updates. Possibly, just guessing here as I have nothing concrete to back this up, the BAs may indeed be flying aircraft that active squadrons may not want, aircraft that might incur significant cost to bring up to date. No reason to spend that money if the current configuration works fine for the BAs purposes.

T!

Sting11

Appreciate the updates; this helps me get my BA freq list up to date. Do any of you still show 251.6 or 246.5 used by them for anything?

milcom_chaser

Not sure how well SATCOM antenna performs during a barrel roll. Are there two SATCOM antennas on the Aircraft? one on the bottom of the fuselage?

jsoergel

Not sure how well SATCOM antenna performs during a barrel roll. Are there two SATCOM antennas on the Aircraft? one on the bottom of the fuselage?

Just one, aft of the blade antennas along the spine. But it’s only on the later lot numbers (beginning with Lot 30, I think). Blue Angels fly Lot 22s.

And as already stated above, they wouldn’t use it anyway. The demo teams stick with plain VHF/UHF because it’s simple.

Appreciate the updates; this helps me get my BA freq list up to date. Do any of you still show 251.6 or 246.5 used by them for anything?

251.600 was replaced by 346.500 sometime in 2018; there were some conflicts with frequency assignments in the western US.

Never heard them use 246.500. I’ve seen it reported as “Button 20,” but the picture I saw of their preset card last year had a VHF freq in that spot.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Interesting discussion of the air to air frequencies. Our local military fliers, the140th FW at Buckley Space Force Base on the east side of the Denver area. have gone to have quick timing for plane to plane traffic.

jsoergel

Interesting discussion of the air to air frequencies. Our local military fliers, the140th FW at Buckley Space Force Base on the east side of the Denver area. have gone to have quick timing for plane to plane traffic.

Many ANG units will use HQ on a regular basis, but I would be surprised if they are using it exclusively. I heard a flight of Buckley F-16s come through my area last December using UHF A/A.

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
Just one, aft of the blade antennas along the spine. But it’s only on the later lot numbers (beginning with Lot 30, I think). Blue Angels fly Lot 22s.

And as already stated above, they wouldn’t use it anyway. The demo teams stick with plain VHF/UHF because it’s simple.

251.600 was replaced by 346.500 sometime in 2018; there were some conflicts with frequency assignments in the western US.

Never heard them use 246.500. I’ve seen it reported as “Button 20,” but the picture I saw of their preset card last year had a VHF freq in that spot.
Do you know where I can see a copy of the BA preset card? I'd like to update my BA list. Thanks.

jsoergel

Larry51

Premium Subscriber
There was a clear shot posted a few months back, but I can’t find it now. This one is the only other one I’ve seen lately:

Bottom right. I had to download it and do some photoshop work to make it more readable. Matches the older versions pretty well.
Great picture! I couldn't figure out how to download it so that I could enlarge it to read the data on the card. I'll keep searching for an accurate BA list and post what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.