Blue Ridge Parkway rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottE22

Just started monitoring the Blue RIdge Parkway P25 digital channel off of Rich Mountain in Watauga county,can pick it up with my BC436HP in my house in Hickory with a Diamond RH77 antenna,quite a bit of in the clear traffic,including numerous raffic stops and license checks,did hear dispatch(800)tell a ranger they were going to encrypted,but it was busy all day.Anyone else notice much encrypted traffic on this channel?Was wondering how often they use encryption....

Jhodges2382

Premium Subscriber
Use to listen to them quit a bit, also off the Rich Mtn tower. Don't monitor them as much anymore. Last time I spoke to one of the rangers, he said they're using the P25 channels almost 100% of the time now, but wasn't sure on the encryption. I personally have heard them say anything on the air about switching to encryption.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting that the National Park Service uses P25 more than its sister agencies, the USFS, BLM, USFWS and BIA. The USFS in the east is using more P25 than those in the west. However, the NPS and the other Department of the Interior agencies seem to be the last of them in getting into compliance with the newer 2019 frequency allocation of the federal VHF-High band. The BLM seems to be ahead of the NPS in the west. I think the USFS is all in compliance with the 2019 directive. Every agency that is not in compliance has to have a temporary authorization to do so. There is a federal government wide directive that all law enforcement communications has to be encrypted eventually. It is going to take an extended period to comply with that.

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
Two things. First, are we saying that the old frequencies are no longer valid, or are we saying the frequencies are valid but have switched to p25. I live in Haywood County, NC and can in the past hear Mt.Pisgah 172.7500 for the BRP and Mt. Sterling 172.500 for the GSMNP. That said, I have heard nothing of late... Second, I see that there are talk groups on Viper for the GSMNP and US Forest Service but none for the Blue Ridge Parkway. Should there be VIPER traffic as well here? Thanks!

ecps92

I [hobbyist] am unaware of a mandate for P25, however there are many agencies who have Not completed the required NTIA changes
for example:
Repeater Outputs should be
169.5125-173.2000 Base/repeater output
173.4000-173.9875 Base/repeater output

And repeater inputs should be on the lower side
162.0500-166.4875 Mobile/repeater input

166.5000-169.5000 Unpaired single frequency systems - aka Simplex

Moving to the new NTIA standard may [YMMV] require new outputs or inputs, depending on nearby availability and/or inteference in the area

Example
USFS for NH/ME finally moved from
171.5250 R / 170.5750 input
to
171.5250 R / 164.1500 input
and side note, 164.1500 was the old FBI NH input, when they had to change frequencies. Lots of moving parts for multiple agencies

Two things. First, are we saying that the old frequencies are no longer valid, or are we saying the frequencies are valid but have switched to p25. I live in Haywood County, NC and can in the past hear Mt.Pisgah 172.7500 for the BRP and Mt. Sterling 172.500 for the GSMNP. That said, I have heard nothing of late... Second, I see that there are talk groups on Viper for the GSMNP and US Forest Service but none for the Blue Ridge Parkway. Should there be VIPER traffic as well here? Thanks!

tradecraft6f

What would you need them for?
Local Law Enforcement/Fire /Ems curiosity since we have too Cut Their Gate Locks too Get Too Help Persons With Health/EMS Issues On Their Trails!!!SO A GOOD Question on Dealing With A Absent Federal Agency That Expects Local Government To Take Up Their EMS SLACK!!

tradecraft6f

Local Law Enforcement/Fire /Ems curiosity since we have too Cut Their Gate Locks too Get Too Help Persons With Health/EMS Issues On Their Trails!!!SO A GOOD Question on Dealing With A Absent Federal Agency That Expects Local Government To Take Up Their EMS SLACK!!
But We've Got P25 Vhf Radio's that have FPP and have their p25 freqs,but i imagine simplex p25..But the lock cutting on their property because they are 18 miles away,Has Too Stop..if someone is potentially dying on one of their trails from Lower Doughton Rec. AREA and we dont have a way too contact these people and these people are on Federal Property,ItsTHERE LIABILIITY NOT THE COUNTY OR STATE!!

ecps92

Bit of a contradiction there, you have FPP and P25 with their frequencies, but have no way to contact "them" ??
Odd, most would have your Dispatch talk to their Dispatch when you can't reach them on the Radio [IMHO]
But We've Got P25 Vhf Radio's that have FPP and have their p25 freqs,but i imagine simplex p25..But the lock cutting on their property because they are 18 miles away,Has Too Stop..if someone is potentially dying on one of their trails from Lower Doughton Rec. AREA and we dont have a way too contact these people and these people are on Federal Property,ItsTHERE LIABILIITY NOT THE COUNTY OR STATE!!

trumpetman

Database Admin

Probably a better idea to stop while you're ahead and go through official means to request this kind of information. Those that have a legit need to be on the parkway and use their radio system have approved ways to get gate access and radio system access. Keying up on the frequencies you found on RadioReference without an MOU is a good way to get in trouble. I'm with ecps92, there are some contradictions and holes in your logic here and your sudden jump to a rant isn't inspiring a lot of confidence.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

Probably a better idea to stop while you're ahead and go through official means to request this kind of information. Those that have a legit need to be on the parkway and use their radio system have approved ways to get gate access radio system access. Keying up on the frequencies you found on RadioReference without an MOU is a good way to get in trouble. I'm with ecps92, there's some contradictions and holes in your logic here and your sudden jump to a rant isn't inspiring a lot of confidence.

His radio has FPP so he's obviously authorized. :rolleyes:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
So if you can contact them when there 18 miles away, that's great now they know you're waiting from 18 miles away........They don't provide keys to fire chiefs for access to problem areas? Especially after they find their locks cut every time and unsecure for who knows how long until a new lock is put on. Does this locked gate traverse a secret area only the rangers can only allow supervised access

In my experience of dealing with this same issue, your best bet is to just have your dispatch contact them when the call comes in and get them on the way (from their 18 miles away). If the time comes to it and absolutely necessary, use your universal Master Lock key. Chances are, they may already have your county channels and can communicate with you that way? If they want you to have their frequencies to talk direct with them, you can do like Trumpetman said and make the official request and they will supply those for y'all along with the authorization to use them.
Looks like you are in Ashe county? If you've not already done so, I would suggest talking to your county EM director/fire marshal who may also have some contacts with the NPS and could help aid in future preplanning to include radio communication routes, gate access, and radio reprogramming if needed.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I know for a fact that BLRI Rangers have local frequencies programmed into their radios. I also know for a fact that 800 immediately gives out information received from local agencies that is called into their dispatch center in Asheville. A simple phone call from your dispatch to theirs is all it takes.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
GSMNP has TG's on both the VIPER, and TACN for interop with agencies that use those as the primary systems of communications, and where the coverage is very good. BRNP as far as I know has not yet gained access to VIPER, or the TACN in areas where it has coverage of the ops areas. Both have, and use P25 almost exclusively now, and do use some encryption but it is not full time. Yes, there is a push to move ALL Federal Public Safety to full time encryption, but its still a ways off, as USFS still has a LONG way to go before they are full time P25 yet, same for BLM, ACoE (ACoE is in the lead here btw...), etc... Heck, the Feds are still not fully nationwide compliant with the narrowband set ups. Non Fed is WAY ahead on this game right now. Only NPS Public Safety in the SE US that IS fully encrypted that I know of is the NTNP (Natchez Trace). They have been fully P25, and E for a while. Even here in the MidWest where Feds are using APXes VHF/7-800 full time P25 are using very little E on both their VHF, and on systems like SAFE-T - Yet. (Other than say BATF, DEA, FBI, USMS, FPS, ICE/BP)

Last edited by a moderator:

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Where are there locked gates ? I have been on a lot of the BRP in VA, and NC and other than a locked campground or facility have yet found a locked gate. If the main gate is locked there is a reason. I know some of the parkway is still closed in VA due to storm damage. As said call the 800 number. If you have jurisdiction on the parkway I would think your Chief would have a relationship with the park already. BTW just got back from GSMNP and 441 was closed over the mountains between Cherokee and Gatlinburg on Wednesday due to a land slide. Was back open Friday. A lot of traffic on the P25 network for them.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Ahh, the USFS Plantation Maintenance and Wildland Fire Access Roads. Those are a whole other level of bureaucracy. Access to those varies from area to area. Sometimes they are left open if they also provide common access to other areas of operations such as bordering National Forests, State Forests, State Parks etc. And sometimes USFS has them locked to prevent unauthorized camping, partying, etc. Your best bet is to contact the State Forestry folks about it first to know if your even allowed to fight fires in there without being called on by USFS, and possibly get a key etc from the Pisgah NF as that is the one that borders BRP in WNC. I used to deal with those all year long back when I lived in MS. Our family lands, as well as the Texas Eastern Transmission pipeline was surrounded by/accessed by/thru the Homochitto NF, and on one side is very close to the Natchez Trace National Parkway. We also have a National Historic Location that is sitting beside an access road in the HNF. USFS left the main access road open, but gated the secondary, and for the plantation "trails" worked with us to build "tank traps" etc to keep illegal hunters from getting down into our lands easily with large 4X4's... Now though with the ATV's that can go almost anywhere, family has had to resort to tire flattening traps on the trails on our side of the HNF line. That and regular patrols with game wardens on our side, and USFS Rangers on the HNF side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.