Blue Screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
My latest blue screen says I have a BAD_POOL_CALLER. (Shakes head until brain rattles):confused:

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I assume your using Win XP ?
Power off
Remove all devices from usb ports except keyboard and mouse. then boot again.
If that won't work then do this:

Best Try this before going crazy -- Assuming you did not make any bios changes.
At Power up during boot bring up boot menu by tapping the F8 until you get the
boot up options and select using keyboard up/down arrows highlight on "Last Good known config"
hit enter and hold you breath. This will force your computer to boot on the last good boot sequence.
That usually works if all your hardware is good.

Sounds like a driver became corrupted. or driver conflict

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
At first, my smart-aleck comeback was 'well learn how to shoot pool,' but seeing as you need a little help here, I'll add my two-cents worth and keep it technical and not related to bar games with long sticks.

This sounds like a hardware or buggy driver error. I'll assume everything on your system was working just fine, that no new hardware has been added, or that drivers have been updated, and that this blue screen just came out of the blue (no pun intended).

If that's the case, it sounds like memory to me. You can download an free ram checker and run a series of test on it, if it is memory related, this application will let you know. If that is not the case, and something had changed before the blue scree, you'll need to figure out what it was.

The easiest thing in that case, is to boot in safe-mode by pressing F8 at system boot time. Once in safe-mode you can disable the affected driver, uninstall the new software or whatever the change was. One last thing you can, either in safe-mode or normal operation mode is a system restore, that is roll the system snapshot back to a time before the blue screen happened.

It is determining what happened to cause the blue screen that can be most often the frustrating times. As I indicated, I believe to be a memory issue, and since most memory is installed in pairs (ie. you have 1GB, it will be installed in 512MB pairs), you can power down the system and pull each pair one at a time. If with one chunk in and the system doesn't blue screen, but does with other RAM chunk in, then you've found your bad RAM.

N0IU

...then you've found your bad RAM.
Well someone has to put in at least one smart-aleck comment. I am from St. Louis. Our wonderful football team's record is 1-12-0. I have found the "bad RAM"! I hope he enjoyed his year as head coach!

Last edited:

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried Google?

BAD_POOL_CALLER - Google Search

Thanks, very enlightening.

I assume your using Win XP ?

Have Vista Ultimate 32

Earlier today, I got another BSOD, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I'm googling that one, also.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
BSODs

Thanks to everyone for their help. I had to get into the BIOS and look really close at all the memory and processor settings. The memory (RAM) has to have at least 1.9 volts which it was, but I hadn't enabled an extra current as needed toggle. Have done that. Also, enabled a 300mV extra voltage for the processor as needed. So far so good.

Has anyone here had the pleasure of owning a 9xxx core 2 quad series of Intel processor? Boy howdy these things are as temperamental as an Italian sports car. When they work they zoom.

Again thanks to everyone and Happy Holidays!

N

N_Jay

Time to stop overclocking.

The time saved with the faster processing is all used up by the time spent getting it to work reliably.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
By N_Jay: Time to stop overclocking.

The time saved with the faster processing is all used up by the time spent getting it to work reliably.

Actually, the processor is not overclocked. The RAM, was recommended by CompUSA's memory configurator, I only found that it needed 1.9V instead of the normal 1.5V when I installed it. The processor and RAM just seemed liked a V-12 starving for fuel at 200mph and giving me a fit with all sorts of different BSODs. (keeping fingers crossed)

N

N_Jay

Weird.
Did you run a ram test?
Do you have the BIOS set for automatic or default configuration, or are things tweaked?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
Yep N_Jay, very.

Did you run a ram test?
I have ran the one on the installation disc (extended test) and three others I downloaded. All found no problems.

Do you have the BIOS set for automatic or default configuration, or are things tweaked?
I have the BIOS automatically configured as Intel releases them. On the Ram settings, it is manual so the voltage and current could be changed and enabled. These are the only parameters changed in the memory. The processor was just an enable/disable toggle, but still default.
I think that even though my RAM checks good, it is not quite the correct RAM for my motherboard. I'm hoping Santa will bring me 8 gig of the correct RAM. Even though I haven't been that good... :(

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
glad you got it figured out. I had a motherboard that went bad (the known bad batch of caps, I found out about 6 months after I threw it out). I replaced it with an Asus motherboard that would fit all my other parts including CPU and RAM. I got the board, put in one DIMM, the CPU and video card...unit posted. I then added the NIC, posted. Added the rest of the RAM and it died. I did an RMA, got a new one and the same thing happened. I did ANOTHER RMA and this time I went to Staples (hey, I had to work with that I had around me) and got another DIMM and never used the last one I installed the prior times. The PC's still running to this day as a second Active Directory DC.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Rule # 1 Always read the manual, and if possible before purchasing the MOBO. The manufacture's web site should have it. In the manual will list compatible memory. Sometimes, however the list of compatible memory isn't even right and thus you must use good logic. Usually it's the voltages. Some MOBOs are stubborn SOBs Like an ASUS I had a few years ago.

And to think a lot of newbies RMA a perfectly good MOBO because of their "uber" skills in purchasing correct memory. Ever read Neweggs's reviews? It's obvious who actually has the "High tech level" :lol: A perfectly good product rated 3 or less stars because of the consumer's lack of sense. :roll:

Last edited:

country2

Download and run this program called Who Crashed, it helps in trying to troubleshoot crashes. You will have to google the name and get the free home user edition.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Just pack it up and ship it to me, because the computer will never work properly again. I promise I will dispose of it properly! :)

Xplorer4x4

I'm hoping Santa will bring me 8 gig of the correct RAM. Even though I haven't been that good... :(

Why 8 GB? In almost all cases 8 GB is a total waste. Get 4 GB and run a 64 bit os. Unless your doing some major 3d model work like in mya or 3ds, then its not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.