Bluegrass Regional Radio Network (BRRN) - Discussion Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Lets take it one step futeher and talk about the SAFE T system IN. Made motorola turn off all Propitiate BS on the system so that EFJ and Kenwood And Harris can be used on it. I sell so much EFJ/Kenwood on that system it aint funny

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Lets take it one step futeher and talk about the SAFE T system IN. Made motorola turn off all Propitiate BS on the system so that EFJ and Kenwood And Harris can be used on it. I sell so much EFJ/Kenwood on that system it aint funny
So theoretically if it was setup correctly, Motorola APX radios could be used on this system.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
I have NO doubt that MOTOROLA WILL WORK ON A HARRIS OR TAIT SYSTEM but the other way around may not be true. Motorola has a check box in there radio cps call Motorola proprietary features. so that only motorola radios work on a motorola system

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This thread is going a bit off topic but system administrators are becoming wise to Motorola's tricks. They are forcing Motorola to open these systems up.

The new northern Kentucky system is a Motorola build but they were told from the beginning that the system must allow more than just Motorola subscriber units, they have Motorola, Harris, Kenwood and Tait radios operating on the system right now.

This is about having smart system managers who are not in Motorola's pocket.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
This thread is going a bit off topic but system administrators are becoming wise to Motorola's tricks. They are forcing Motorola to open these systems up.

The new northern Kentucky system is a Motorola build but they were told from the beginning that the system must allow more than just Motorola subscriber units, they have Motorola, Kenwood and Tait radios operating on the system right now.

This is about having smart system managers who are not in Motorola's pocket.
Agreed. Update, UK has made the final choice to sell its North Tower core. Scott County does not want to sell their second core, Madison will have to buy a new one more than likely. Waiting on more meetings from the courts.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
From the Scott County Fiscal Court this morning,
All county agencies spoke on the agreement that this system would better Interopablilty and communications between agencies and counties and spoke to the court that they are in favor. Resolution 20-12 was read and approved and now the project will move forward.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Update from this morning's Madison County Fiscal Court meeting.
A new ordinance has been readopted as Georgetown/Scott County requested that the ordinance contained information what each entity would be providing for the BRRN as that's what the dividends would provide. 27% Madison County, 26% University of Kentucky, and a combined 8% for Georgetown/Scott County.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Georgetown has filed for 4 additional frequencies for all 6 sites. I can say now that on the Georgetown system we don't even use half of our pairs. Im sure this is for the new system as a way to allow all sites to carry Madison County and UK traffic while still having enough voice and data channels for us. This would add 8 additional channels.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
2nd Reading was done this morning in the Madison County Fiscal Court and it passed. Georgetown's filing is still in the pending phase as of tonight. Some new radios have been seen on the Georgetown System but no one has started linking yet.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
No new information on the system. I have been seeing new ID's pop up on the Scott County system however no traffic has been heard.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Spoke with a source who I will not identify.
The project is still moving forward and all parties involved have come to an agreement. Talkgroups will not simulcast across all sites, an example being Scott County will not have Fire Dispatch key up Madison Towers and UKPD Patrol 1 will not key up Georgetown Towers. The only talk groups that will simulcast will be regional and local Interop, Event, And Mutual Aid Channels. The proposed coverage is from Northern Kentucky all the way down to London.

I've done a lot of research and so far it appears that the main point of this system is to promote regionalism and to incorporate agencies who don't have reliable radio systems or sufficient ways to talk with neighboring agencies on a platform where they can.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Any chance they will use the NKY P25 core? Seems like a great way to save some money.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Any chance they will use the NKY P25 core? Seems like a great way to save some money.
I know our most northern tower here in Scott County has portable coverage all the way to the Ark in Grant County and about 20 more miles on a mobile north of that. I was thinking the same thing, will they use the NKY P25 Core? At this time I am not sure but my source mentioned all the way to Cincinnati so unless we have plans to put a brand new tower somewhere in Kenton County then my next guess would be that they have thought of linking the core or have been in contact with the mangers of the core. If I'm not mistaken the NKY system is a Motorola core but has multiple different brands of radios like EFJ and Harris, I'm curious if that will be allowed on the system once linked since the University of Kentucky uses Tait P25 radios for internal hospital communications and Harris XL Series for Law Enforcement.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
The entire point of P25 is to have a common air interface so radios from multiple different vendors will work on the system.

The NKY system has radios from just about everyone on the system.

It would be nice if a squad were to transport to the University of Cincinnati Hospital they could have radio communications back to dispatch all the way.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
One of the main points that were given here was Jail Transports and Inmate Road Crews. Our Jail currently has a 10 watt VHF NXDN Repeater that doesn't cover the inside of the jail. They would be able to take inmates down to other counties and facilities and still talk with the same dispatcher or have crews out on the road and call for backup or assistance.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Looks like Georgetown's application for 4 additional frequencies were finally granted after 3 months of sitting in the ULS. Not sure if this was for additional talk paths for BRRN or if the State of Indiana was still contesting frequencies.

New Freq's

Remington12G

GØT AES?
No new confirmed updates as of now. As mentioned before in the thread UK, Madison, and Georgetown/Scott would be the soul stakeholders however at the time they already had another county interested in joining the system once online. It appears at this time the other entity/county wanting to join the system once online and completed is the county of Estill.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Recap of the Madison County Meeting this morning.
The court approved Resolution 20-133-CSEPP AMK Design and Optimization. This is approving the optimization of the current radio infrastructure. One of the items mentioned was updating fleet mapping which as described by the EMA/CSEPP Director was updating radio id's to match the current fleets used by others on the system.

Once this optimization is complete they should start the stages of linking all 3 systems into one.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Recap of the Madison County Meeting this morning.
The court approved Resolution 20-133-CSEPP AMK Design and Optimization. This is approving the optimization of the current radio infrastructure. One of the items mentioned was updating fleet mapping which as described by the EMA/CSEPP Director was updating radio id's to match the current fleets used by others on the system.

Once this optimization is complete they should start the stages of linking all 3 systems into one.
Lets hope they follow the "state wide" radio ID scheme. And also follow the TGID scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.