Bluetooth And Amateur Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Are there many amateur radios using Bluetooth yet? I have looked around a bit and it seems pretty scarce, so far. Bluetooth seems very common with cell phones, but rather uncommon in two way radios, either amateur or professional.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
The Icom ID-5100A has Bluetooth. I used it with data transmission through an Android phone, but I'm not sure if you can pair it with a headset.

Bluetooth comes standard on the Motorola XPR 5550e and XPR 7550e, and I know you can pair audio devices with those.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Not to mention it was a standard option with the XPR5000 and XPR7000 series radios (predecessors to the e models), the APX portables also have it standard.

Pryme makes a lot of Bluetooth adapters. Motorola has one for the XTS3000/5000 radios (which is actually cheaper than the Pryme right now).

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

k6cpo

Several of Yaesu's radios have the capability of installing a Bluetooth module in the radio. The FTM-100 and FTM-400 System Fusion radios have the capability, but, ironically, Yaesu discontinued their BH-2A Bluetooth headset.

wrath

The Kenwood triband thd 74A handheld comes standard in the US model with bluetooth.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Kenwood triband thd 74A handheld comes standard in the US model with bluetooth.
Yes, the Kenwood TH-D74 has Bluetooth standard. I have not used mine with a Bluetooth headset, but the problem with Bluetooth cell phone headsets and two-way radios is dealing with the PTT. VOX is a possible solution. The TH-D74 Bluetooth works great as a Bluetooth serial port for an external APRS program, TNC access in KISS mode (I've used it with Winlink Express), and for programming the radio.

wrath

My only Bluetooth headset is a Bose quadlink , it will monitor but not transmit, but I know others who have gotten some stuff going with headsets.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yaesu FTM-10 supports Bluetooth.

There are some external BT options made for motorcycles, that have intercom, stereo, navigation, and two-way interface options.

Sent via Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I have a TH-D74 and run mobile using Bluetooth. The radio goes to a dual band VHF/UHF amp which boosts the output to 20 Watts. That goes to a cowl mounted dual band Larsen on my Jeep Wrangler.

I use a Blue Parrot B250 headset with a boom mic. VXi BlueParrott® B250-XT It has great earphone volume and excellent noise canceling properties.

PTT is done with a cheap CB foot switch that I got for free from a friend. It's secured to my WeatherTech floor liner with a small patch of Velcro.

To enable foot switch PTT on the D74, you need to connect the sleeves of the 3.5 and 2.5mm jacks on the radio. See schematic below.

This provides totally hands free operation.

Attachments

• switch-placement.jpg
    switch-placement.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 764
  • schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 785
  • th-d74-harness-switch.jpg
    th-d74-harness-switch.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 837

4X1ST

Neat Bluetooth solution

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I wanted to share a good solution for BT handsfree.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...ngle-5-10km-K-M-Plug-for-TYT/32891346512.html - but available from eBay etc etc etc

I bought this to use with a TYT MD380 DMR handheld, but it will work fine with Kenwoods that use the usual 2.5/3.5mm plugs. (Also most Baofengs FWIW).

You get a good quality BT earpiece, a dongle that plugs into the side of the transceiver, and a PTT button with a velcro strap so you can attach it to the handbrake, gear lever, steering wheel or whatever.

I've been using this setup pretty much every day for the last 3 months and it's worked very well. I get unsolicited comments about the good audio quality (and judging from the parrot, it does sound nice).

Caveats:
1. You'll need to charge the modules from time to time. The PTT rarely needs charging. I charge the earpiece and dongle maybe every 10 days or so. I keep them turned off in between use. That prolongs battery life, but means you need to pair them up each time - it's just a long press of a button and takes a couple of seconds.
2. The PTT has a slight lag of a couple of secs. That's no problem with DMR where there is a delay in any case. For FM it might be a nuisance if you want to break into QSOs between overs.
3. There is a cheaper version with a different earpiece - I can't comment on the audio quality of that. There is also a version with no PTT button. Take care when buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.