Bluetooth Audio Dongle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a bluetooth audio dongle transmitter so I can listen to my bcd396xt while at work....discreetly. It plugs directly into the headphone jack. My problem is I've tried two different "over one ear" bluetooth headphones and can't get them to pair up....just keep getting the flashing red/blue lights. Is the problem because the headphones need to be stereo (over both ear type) or ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to listen with the one ear type headphone with this transmitter.

Uplink

Sounds like you are using a stereo music bluetooth transmitter with a cell phone earpiece. They are different bluetooth profiles. A2DP is the Stereo Music profile. To stay stealty, use a Jabra A210 or a Cardo BTA transmitter for cellular earpieces, or try another earpiece like this Jabra that does both profiles

Here's a bluetooth repeater I made if you want to get further from the scanner than the standard 30 feet an earpiece gives you.

good luck, let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I finally got it

I finally figured out the winning combo. It was a A2DP audio dongle transmitter from Hong Kong bought on Ebay and a Jabra BT530. This combo does work. Single earpiece.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what you mean by "intercom". The Jabra I'm using is a bluetooth and no noise. Sounds good.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you are using a stereo music bluetooth transmitter with a cell phone earpiece. They are different bluetooth profiles. A2DP is the Stereo Music profile. To stay stealty, use a Jabra A210 or a Cardo BTA transmitter for cellular earpieces, or try another earpiece like this Jabra that does both profiles

Here's a bluetooth repeater I made if you want to get further from the scanner than the standard 30 feet an earpiece gives you.

good luck, let us know how it goes!

Is the audio on the intercom as clear as the bluetooth? I have tried several 900mhz wireless headsets and they are as bad or worse than an FM transmitter. Nothing but "whoooosh whoooosh" and static. The 2.4 set with frequency hopping that I use now are crystal clear, like bluetooth.

I'm not sure what you mean by "intercom". The Jabra I'm using is a bluetooth and no noise. Sounds good.
I was asking about the extender that Uplink made.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm considering something like a Jabra A210 to use in stealth with my Yaesu vx-5r which doubles as my everyday portable scanner. Has anyone had luck pairing a bluetooth up with a ham talkie?
Just curious.
n9zas

Uplink

Is the audio on the intercom as clear as the bluetooth? I have tried several 900mhz wireless headsets and they are as bad or worse than an FM transmitter. Nothing but "whoooosh whoooosh" and static. The 2.4 set with frequency hopping that I use now are crystal clear, like bluetooth.

Never used those headsets, but I am impressed with this particular 900mhz intercom, crystal clear audio and a strong signal. They still pop up on Ebay. As a matter of fact I use it to "extend" my base scanner with a BASE antenna to eliminate that woosh, whosh you would get from a handheld scanner/rubber duck walking around the house.

Thanks del1964 for your earpiece report, seems like it's A2DP is not advertised, but only found in the manual. I'll try that one for sure.

Last edited:
I finally figured out the winning combo. It was a A2DP audio dongle transmitter from Hong Kong bought on Ebay and a Jabra BT530. This combo does work. Single earpiece.

Del,

What is the name of the Bluetooth dongle you bought off of ebay? Can you post a link to it? I am interested to try this set up myself. Thanks for the info!!!!

Mike

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Del,

What is the name of the Bluetooth dongle you bought off of ebay? Can you post a link to it? I am interested to try this set up myself. Thanks for the info!!!!

Mike

Type this into the search in Ebay: 120524906055
That is the item number

Yep, that's exactly it! Buy and enjoy. That same Jabra earpiece at Staples is $85!

Thanks Del!!

I will be getting my GRE PSR 300 tomorrow and I am gonna try this bluetooth set up. How/where do you have the dongle mounted to the scanner? Thanks again for the info!

Mike

I have the exact same setup as del1964 and using it with a GRE 300. I have been able to get the dongle and the earpiece to pair up, but the audio in the earpiece is very low. The earpiece is at its highest volume and I can barely hear the audio from it. When I turn the volume up on the scanner; the audio is very distorted.

Is there something that Im missing for this to work right? Do I need some kind of adapter coming out of the earphone jack? I dont know what else to try to increase the volume. Thanks for any info and/or solutions to try!!!

Mike

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I'm using my BCD396XT without any problems. Also I do a live feed and now I've got my audio dongle transmitter plugged into my headphone jack on the computer and listening to my own live feed....Anyways try hitting the volume button on the earpiece itself....you should hear it beep with each press. Also try cranking up the volume if you can on whatever it is that you have the dongle plugged into to....that makes a huge difference. Volume on your scanner in this case if that's what it's plugged into. It will blast my ear so I have to pay attention to the earpiece volume control and the device I'm plugged into. So I can verify that it's not a problem with either one of the devices I described here. Also, I know a dumb double check thing, but make sure the plug from the dongle is inserted all the way and that it's a correct match for your scanner. You could try plugging your dongle into something else like a radio headphone jack to verify. Remember to crank up the volume on all devices before you give up. I guess it is possible that one of the devices is defective.....never know. Good luck!

Ok, after trying this setup on another scanner, it turns out that the GRE 300 is the problem. I have the setup on a non-trunking scanner and the volume is loud and clear! The volume from the GRE headphone jack is not loud enough. So now, is there a way to increase the output "power" of the GRE headphone jack? I have tried adjusting the volume with the volume control, but that only distorts the sound very badly. The problem is in the headphone jack!!

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.