• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bluetooth for G4/G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I paired up a Plantronics earbud Bluetooth to a G4, and all was good, except everytime the G4 stops on a talkgroup, the Bluetooth announces "Incoming call" into my ear, over the audio of the G4. Not cool hearing that the first couple of seconds of each transmission.

Does anyone know of a good, compatible BT (earbud/in/around the ear type) that won't announce "incoming call" or anything when audio is received, that is good for use with a G4/G5 receiver?

Thanks in advance

cpetraglia

That's a total crap shoot. I went thru many many BT devices and never really found one that was satisfactory. The BT protocol version in the pager is BT 2.1 which is close to 10 years outdated. There has been much discussion about this in previous threads here. I feel your pain. Best of luck. Your BT ear buds assume your connected to a cell phone which would work fine as you have to hit 'answer' before audio starts. The pager is disconnecting every time a TG closes, thereby reconnecting each time a TG is received. It has been suggested to Unication to have the BT stay connected at all times, but there may be a power draw issue that shortens battery life. Maybe we'll see something in a future FW update. I wouldn't hold your breath. !!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that. I'd rather them put a jack on the thing and plug in a mini phono plug or something for a wired earplug. As it is now, the BT is basically useless.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
The unit should work with Bluetooth 3.0 which is what the Headsets that we have are utilizing. As far as the Bluetooth handshake is concerned I have a request into engineering to look over and possibly change the way the unit handles this. Hopefully, we can see a change for the better in a future release.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
The unit should work with Bluetooth 3.0 which is what the Headsets that we have are utilizing. As far as the Bluetooth handshake is concerned I have a request into engineering to look over and possibly change the way the unit handles this. Hopefully, we can see a change for the better in a future release.

Any chance of the hardware supporting BT 4.0 (ie via a firmware update)? It's even hard to find BT 3.0 headsets now. I'm looking for a solo 3.0 headset (ie just one for one ear) and not finding much...

cpetraglia

I have a few BT 3.0 receivers. Some pair but wont connect. Some others connect but have all the unnecessary noises at the beginning of a transmission. I have been thru at least 15 BT devices and found the most consistency with the 2.1 models.

ecarvalho

I tested a chinese 3.0 bt headset but like most folks, there is connection beep and then the g5 audio then another beep. This makes short transmissions impossible to hear and all the blepbloops are annoying. Of course this headset was designed for use with a phone so...
Ill see if a 2.1 bt headphone or earbud is laying around for testing

troymail

Silent Key

David - Which specific brand/model headsets are Unication folks using and do they have any extra noises before/after voice messages from the pagers?

ecarvalho

The Plantronics M50 (BT v3.0) is working "fairly decent" with my G5. It does miss a millisecond of the transmission with a beep-bloop-bloop-pop sound but the sound itself is not that annoying even with quick transmission exchanges.

I found it for sale in several sites and the lowest price so far is this:
Plantronics M50 Bluetooth Headset | Tech Rabbit

I still don't think is perfect and I won't be using it much. I have almost no real need for a headphone when it comes to this but I want to try an old v2.1 BT when I get a chance.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,583
Last edited:

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
The way the Bluetooth currently works is similar to receiving a phone call because of the to and from info transmitted so if the Bluetooth headset beeps when receiving it is because it sees the traffic as a phone call

cpetraglia

I think we understand that. The problem is, this is not a cell phone. The BT needs to stay connected at all times so the noises are only heard when first connecting.

ecarvalho

I would also like to see uninterrupted BT audio feed but I fear that will reduce the battery life as well.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Is there a wired to bluetooth adapter? I had the opposite a LONG time ago - a little box you plugged into like a wired scanner, then connect your bluetooth headset to the 'box' and you could use your bluetooth headset with a wired scanner. I want to do the opposite - use a wired headset with a bluetooth device, like the Unication. Would obviously have to be BT 3.0... Does such a beast exist?

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Phirephoto, I had the opposite, BT to wired adapter. It was the BlackBerry Gateway. It has a mini USB port to supply power to the BB Gateway and an audio jack. Pair the device to the Gateway via BT and listen thru the wired jack. Being that old, you would think the Gateway had the right protocol for the Unication. My G4 would see it but it wouldn't pair.Not sure how or why you would want wired to BT? You want to listen to the pager via BT, but, where does the wired part come into play if the Unication has no audio jack? I can play audio on the charging base, but, I think the base uses the terminals at the bottom of the pager for that?

Last edited:

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Phirephoto, I had the opposite, BT to wired adapter. It was the BlackBerry Gateway. It has a mini USB port to supply power to the BB Gateway and an audio jack. Pair the device to the Gateway via BT and listen thru the wired jack. Being that old, you would think the Gateway had the right protocol for the Unication. My G4 would see it but it wouldn't pair.Not sure how or why you would want wired to BT? You want to listen to the pager via BT, but, where does the wired part come into play if the Unication has no audio jack? I can play audio on the charging base, but, I think the base uses the terminals at the bottom of the pager for that?

I have a number of good wired earpieces - one being a secret service style custom earpiece, so the advantage would be using a custom wired earpiece, but of course I'd need to have it pair to the Unication since it's wired :)

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Got it. Sounds,cumbersome,but if it works...hope you find something!

It's actually not bad!

Here's their page - Audio Implements-Custom Molds I've had it for so long I couldn't tell you what I paid. Looking through my notes, I think I got it in the mid 90's and it's still going strong! I know I've replaced the tubing a few times, but it's well worth the investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.