• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bluetooth technology or something else...for this idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoNiko

Whats up Radio People!

I have this idea for a product where some sort of radio communication technology will be utilized. I know very little about radio technology so please bear with me. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide

I'm a firefighter. When riding on the engine or truck or any apparatus with multiple people, we put on these headsets. We as a crew can freely communicate with each other without pressing a button as we need to on our Motorola portable radios. The communication is only for when we are riding on the apparatus. If our engine/truck picks up an extra firefighter, all he needs to do is plug in, put the headset on and he can join the conversation. Basic wired intercom communication right?

Basically I need that same ability but;
* Wireless
* always-on capability. No 'Push to Talk'
* Ability to add as many people as needed to the conversation. (I would settle for 10-20 ppl if needed)
* The microphones need to be able to withstand extremely high winds
* Range should be around 500-1000ft line of sight
* Needs to have Basic user interface?nothing complex

The device would attach to the interior or exterior of a helmet, I want the user to be able to connect with one button and perhaps one selection of a 'channel'. Volume up, volume down; basics.

Now there is a company who makes Bluetooth communication devices for Motorcyclists. After reading their literature, those systems can only connect with 4 people. The user interface is cumbersome and also has many features related to connecting to phones for calls and music etc. This additional functionality is not necessary. Additionally, the marketing is not at all right and they're leaving a lot of money on the table. I don't know if Bluetooth technology is the appropriate one or something more akin to a Motorola talkabout type radio.

I see a lot of potential with this product and I understand the market for it.
I just need a radio expert to help...

What do you guys think about this idea, whats the best option for the technology?

zrock

You need to research what is in your trucks now... something in the system is allowing the system to become full duplex (talk and hear at the same time). You would not want that ability on a fire ground as firefighters would get talked over top of and that could have serious issues and danger. Motorolla makes some great bluetooth systems for their radios that have a ear bud and very sensitive mic you can also get it for your breathing mask.. they are not cheap but you want quality on the fire ground not cheap

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Whats up Radio People!

I have this idea for a product where some sort of radio communication technology will be utilized. I know very little about radio technology so please bear with me. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide

I'm a firefighter. When riding on the engine or truck or any apparatus with multiple people, we put on these headsets. We as a crew can freely communicate with each other without pressing a button as we need to on our Motorola portable radios. The communication is only for when we are riding on the apparatus. If our engine/truck picks up an extra firefighter, all he needs to do is plug in, put the headset on and he can join the conversation. Basic wired intercom communication right?

Basically I need that same ability but;
*Wireless
* always-on capability. No 'Push to Talk'
*Ability to add as many people as needed to the conversation. (I would settle for 10-20 ppl if needed)
*The microphones need to be able to withstand extremely high winds
*Range should be around 500-1000ft line of sight
*Needs to have Basic user interface?nothing complex

The device would attach to the interior or exterior of a helmet, I want the user to be able to connect with one button and perhaps one selection of a 'channel'. Volume up, volume down; basics.

Now there is a company who makes Bluetooth communication devices for Motorcyclists. After reading their literature, those systems can only connect with 4 people. The user interface is cumbersome and also has many features related to connecting to phones for calls and music etc. This additional functionality is not necessary. Additionally, the marketing is not at all right and they're leaving a lot of money on the table. I don't know if Bluetooth technology is the appropriate one or something more akin to a Motorola talkabout type radio.

I see a lot of potential with this product and I understand the market for it.
I just need a radio expert to help...

What do you guys think about this idea, whats the best option for the technology?

It sounds like you want to handle the entire fireground with a full-duplex system. Here are the problems I see with what you describe.

- This would make a cacophony of voices and noises, making effective communications difficult.
- The range listed is not realistic, for something helmet mounted.
- RF exposure to the user, especially for range desired.
- Bluetooth would be the wrong technology, as it is range limited.
(See previous two bullets.)
- Battery life
- Added weight to the helmet
- Too many channels needed. (Two per user, if staying analog.)

Motorola Talkabout radios are not full-duplex, nor rated for IDLH/flammable conditions.

Sent via Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Earmark has some wireless full duplex stuff designed for fire apparatus (mainly for the pumper) but unless it's a minor accident, anything else isn't really practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.