Bluetooth wireless earphones for scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwing

Anybody using wireless bluetooth earphones for a scanner? Any suggestions on which one to buy? Thanks for any info.

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the Jabra A210 adapter with my Uniden 396T Digital scanner.
Worked very good on a brush fire. Don't have to mess with ear phone wires.
plus you fit in the better.

Repost from 396 Group ( There are other post about Bluetooth)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCD396T/message/14187
Radios that do work with it:
396, 330, PRO-96, 296D

Jabra A210 Bluetooth Adapter
Model: A210302 Catalog #: 55016302 $59.95
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?cp=&productId=2361928

Jabra BT350 Bluetooth® Headset **Any Bluetooth headset works**
Model: BT350 Catalog #: 55016587 $63.99
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2361926

Don't forget if you go with Bluetooth you need this part also
3/32" Stereo Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Adapter
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062474

Last edited:

jwing

Bluetooth earphones...

I have the same scanner...
Thanks for all this info...

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Hello,

The Jabra A210 or GN Netcom 1110 Bluetooth adapter lasts about 8 1/2 hours of continuous use before needing to be charged. The audio quality is very good, no static or noise. It is the best wireless solution for HH scanners, or any audio device.

Dave AKA The Tripzter

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Well it took me a couple of days to get around to trying this. My Cardo BTA II works great with my 396, 330 and Minitor V, but for some reason the audio is real low with my new Icom F33GT. Can't figure it out, why. Possibly some impedance mismatch.

jas0nr7272

Did you have to use a stereo to mono adapter with that setup?

Oh and i also found the Jabra A120S that has a 3.5mm plug.

Last edited:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
A210 Bluetooth Adapter

How much listening time do you get on the A210 adapter before it goes dead and you have to re-charge it?

Mark

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
There are some Jabra A210 adapters being sold on eBay for short money, much less expensive than the prices at Radio Shack. I just purchased an A210 with a Motorola HS820 headset and paid $39.95 for the combination. I'm glad this thread came about, as I had been thinking about this very thing for some time. Thanks!

b52hbuff

Looks interesting, but adds yet another battery powered device 'in the chain' to worry about. I'd be less concerned, but the Jabra transmitter only has about eight hours of transmit time before you need to go to find a charger. And then don't forget that the headset itself needs battery power. The headset may or may not take a replaceable battery...

Oh, and I saw someone's picture of a 246 with the Bluetooth setup. It all looks very fragile to me. You need a plug converter to convert a standard headphone jack into a cell phone jack.

Neat idea, but not quite ready for prime time.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I agree regarding the power issues, but the way I see this is that it will provide the ability to use the Close Call feature of my 396T, in conjunction or not in conjunction with normal scanning, while walking through a Mall or some other public place without having people look at me like I have two heads. ;) These bluetooth devices have become so common that no one even bats an eye at someone wearing one. The scanner can go beneath the shirt and be inconspicuous. I can even talk to myself if I want, and no one will be the wiser! ;)

I don't see myself personally using it in excess of eight hours, or even close. As far as being fragile, only time will tell I guess, but these devices are designed to be carried around, so I would expect that they might be built to handle some bouncing around. Only time will tell but I think it's a great idea and I'm looking forward to trying it.

aaronp

I use a pair of walkman style headphones (with the cord). With all the ipods and other similiar devices out there, it doesn't get much more discreet, or cheaper. And they don't need to be recharged.

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
scancapecod said:
in conjunction or not in conjunction with normal scanning, while walking through a Mall or some other public place without having people look at me like I have two heads. ;)
Understandable. I used to wear the earpiece that came supplied with the Uniden SC150B. I would reach into my pocket and the cord would get tangled and the earpiece would fly out of my ear. Using the Bluetooth Headset doesn't make you look like the Secret Service. :)
I don't see myself personally using it in excess of eight hours, or even close.
I use it at work for 8 hours, then charge the GN Netcom 1110 after work. However, my Motorola H500 headset also doubles as the headset for my Motorola Razr V3C phone, so the best of both worlds.

Dave AKA The Tripzter

wyldman

I also use the walkman style earbuds,as they are very small and easy to carry.It's harder to hide the scanner than it is the earphones\headset.

One other solution I use is a wireless FM transmitter.I can leave the scanner in the house,or in the car,and use a small cheap ($2.00 at the dollar store) FM radio.It is the small,runs on 1 AAA battery (18 hours),and does a good job picking up the transmitter for about a 1000 ft.While it probably won't work inside a mall or real long distances,it does work good inside a house.I can go to a party,or dinner at someones house,and listen to the scanner without carrying it around.

It is also nice if I take the kids out for a walk in the neighborhood,as I don't have to drag the scanner with me.I also use it at the scene,again so I don't have to lug the scanner around either.

You can also listen to two scanners at once this way.You'll need an adapter (two 1/8" mono males to one 1/8" stereo female),and this will run the 2 audio sources through the L and R stereo channels on the FM transmitter,so you get a different source in each ear.

This is also a great setup for listening in the car,as you can just tune your radio to the FM frequency,and it plays through the factory speakers with no other connections.

jas0nr7272

Yeah I have to agree I have worm my surveillance earpiece with the long cord on several occasions and everyone gives me strange looks. I even had a mall security officer ask me what I was doing once. I told him I was listing to the ball game on am. But with the blue tooth they will just think i'm waiting or on a phone call. Everyone has them. I currently have the Motorola H300 that uses a AAA battery and gives me about 20+ hours of talk time. And I just ordered the Bluetooth adapter Jabra A120S that has the 3.5MM plug already. The Manuel says it only takes 2 hours to re-charge it. Well see. I should have it in time for the Holiday weekend. So I’ll let you know how my set up works.

Last edited:

LedZeppelin

aaronp said:
I use a pair of walkman style headphones (with the cord). With all the ipods and other similiar devices out there, it doesn't get much more discreet, or cheaper. And they don't need to be recharged.

I do the same. As a matter of fact, I use the same headphones that came with my Creative mp3 player with my BC246T. Usually only in the winter though when I can put the scanner in my coat pocket and nobody is the wiser. They think I'm listening to mp3's.

Uplink

scancapecod said:
There are some Jabra A210 adapters being sold on eBay for short money, much less expensive than the prices at Radio Shack. I just purchased an A210 with a Motorola HS820 headset and paid $39.95 for the combination. I'm glad this thread came about, as I had been thinking about this very thing for some time. Thanks!

Hey Scott, I want to try this also, but I'm wondering how did you get your Jabra a210 to PAIR with the bluetooth headset?
Most headsets require entering a code (like 0000) in the phone or transmitter to get it to pair. Does it only work with certain model headsets?

:confused:
thanks! Mark

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Hello,

There is no code needed to mate headset to adapter. Simply put the headset in mating mode, then place the Jabra A210 in same mode. It takes less than a minute. It should work with any bluetooth headset, regardless of manufacturer.

Dave AKA The Tripzter

Status
Not open for further replies.