Bnc Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

don333

I was able to get an 800 MHZ antenna similar to the ones on older cellphones. My problem is that I need an adapter from something similar to a TNC to BNC. However the threaded end of the antenna is too small for the TNC. Is there an adapter similar to the TNC that will fi?

Thanks.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
don333 said:
I was able to get an 800 MHZ antenna similar to the ones on older cellphones. My problem is that I need an adapter from something similar to a TNC to BNC. However the threaded end of the antenna is too small for the TNC. Is there an adapter similar to the TNC that will fi?

Thanks.

Yes, there are. From what you're describing it sounds like it could be a mini UHF or maybe an SMA connector. The mini UHF would be slightly smaller than a TNC, the SMA would be considerably smaller. You need to determine which connector it is before you look for an adapter. But no matter which one it turns out to be, there are adapters available to mate with a BNC connector.

don333

Thanks for all your help. I went to a local electronics store and found out I need a MINI-UHF (F) to BNC (M). Of course, they didn't have it in stock so it had to be ordered.
Again, thanks for your help.

kc2jfs

Radio Shack Sucks

buffalogoat said:
Radio Shack sells them for around $6.00

It is amazing that Radio Shack sells anything but cell phones!!
They don't have BNC to SO239, BNC to SMA etc.

RADIO SHACK SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!

buffalogoat

Both of these adapters ARE AVAILABLE at Radio Shack! Here's the part numbers!
BNC Adapter
Model: 278-121 | Catalog #: 278-121

UG273/U RF adapter adapts BNC male to fit SO-239 UHF-type female.

BNC to PL-259 Adapter
Model: 278-120 | Catalog #: 278-120

This BNC connector accepts a PL-259 plug and fits BNC jack.

kc2jfs

buffalogoat said:
BNC Adapter

BNC to PL-259 Adapter

I am not going to make this a RS bashing session. I don't know about the stores in your neck of the woods, but the ones in NJ/NY metro are a joke. Almost all have only a two sided "Craftsman-like" parts cabinet that never gets restocked or organized. Your lucky if they even know what an SO239 or SMA is! Don't be surprised when you ask for a scanner and they walk you over to the CPU section. TRUST me that day is not far away.

buffalogoat

LMAO... I have to agree with you there! I NEVER ask a salesperson for help at my local store! The last time I asked them where an item was, the guy stood in front of his computer pretending to "look it up in the system" and then told me it was discontinued! After a few minutes of looking around, I found the "discontinued" item I was looking for! They had plenty of them!
:)

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
buffalogoat said:
BNC Adapter

BNC to PL-259 Adapter

You're right, those adapters are available at Rat Shack. The problem is, that's not what the OP asked for. He wound up saying he needed a mini UHF to BNC adapter, although I can't think of any cellphone antenna that used a mini UHF connector. He said it looked like a TNC, only smaller. Seems to me an SMA connector is more likely, if that's the case, Rat Shack won't have it. I don't think they have a BNC to mini UHF adapter either.

buffalogoat

Here's the Radio Shack part number for the BNC/SMA adapter.
BNC Jack/SMA Plug Adapter Cable
Model: 19-043 | Catalog #: 19-043

Provides a consistent transition between popular connectors to solve unique connection problems.

Al42

buffalogoat said:
LMAO... I have to agree with you there! I NEVER ask a salesperson for help at my local store! The last time I asked them where an item was, the guy stood in front of his computer pretending to "look it up in the system" and then told me it was discontinued! After a few minutes of looking around, I found the "discontinued" item I was looking for! They had plenty of them!
I only deal with one salesperson at my local RatShack and she knows the stock better than I do (and what most of it is for). I guess I just lucked out when they hired her about 4-1/2 years ago. Now I have to hope that she considers this a career.

Status
Not open for further replies.